1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

P5 weight?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thumper, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

I have pretty much narrowed down my new bass search to a P5 but want a sub 9 pounder. Most of those for sale have been over 9 lbs. Has anyone seen one at less then 9 or am I chasing a mythical creature? Having a custom made is out of the question since my Zon 5/1 is getting the job done, I'm primarily looking for a backup.
  2. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

3. Thumper

Ok, thank you. I'm not sure that was real helpful to me though, a sample size of 3 doesn't tell me a whole lot: 8.3, 9.5, 9.6 lbs respectively. Even in this limited sample size, I guess I can throw out the high and low, so for now I can expect 9.5 lbs which is too much for me, it could take a while to find one under 9 lbs. I suppose I can put something in the Basses Wanted, but I don't believe many people go there. I did a for sale search and found a couple in the 9.3 lb range.
  4. Jason Brown

Jason Brown

I don't have a scale, but I have no doubts that mine is over 9 pounds.
  5. Thumper

Hey Jason, I see you are just down the road from me, did you get yours locally? The GC in Roy doesn's stock them.
  6. Jason Brown

Jason Brown

Yep, I ordered it from the Guitar Czar. I've only seen one other there back in '08. Never seen one at either GC.
  7. joelb79

joelb79

The two on the guitar gallery at Sweetwater weigh 9lbs 10oz each. It might be hard to get one that is lighter than 8lbs considering all the weight the neck and extra tuner adds.
  8. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Does your P5 have to be a Fender? I have a Mike Lull PJ5 that weighs 7.5 lbs. I played a Lull P5 at the NAMM show last week that was 7lbs. You might contact him with your requirements. You might also try the Fender Custom Shop. Good Luck.
  9. MegaSwing

MegaSwing The Artist Formerly Known As Edward G. Gold Supporting Member

It exists. I had one for awhile, an '08 model, that felt particularly light for a 5-string. Turned out it weighed 8.6 pounds. Thin neck. Could have been even lighter, because the tuners were heavy, causing a little neck dive. It's out there somewhere; believe me.
  10. Jason Brown

Jason Brown

Ooh, yeah, Custom Shop.
    Do you still have your connection friend?
  11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

I had a fender Amer. Std. 2008 P-5
    Weight 8.3 pounds.
    The early one 2008-2009 seem to be lighter?
  12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

My 2010 weighs 8.7lbs. I didn't go looking for the lightest one. I just ordered one & that's what came outta the box.

Black & Maple for what it's worth.
  13. Thumper

Yeah, still have my connection, but I don't to spend that kind of $ for a backup bass. I may just wait for a light P5 to become available, or look into something else. I think any 5er with a 1.85 neck will do. Does anyone know if a databass of basses like that exists (I tried a search but nothing came up)?
  14. Jason Brown

Jason Brown

I don't know of any databases with nut width info. I do know the J5s have the same neck as the Ps (I love these necks!). There's a candy cola J5 at the Czar. Not sure about the weight. Maybe you could call and ask if interested.
  15. jaibeau

jaibeau Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:MIKE LULL Eden/washburn (usmusiccorp) Ernie Ball
    Regardless, buy one-
  16. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

2012: 8.5#
  17. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

My 2010 was JUST under 9lbs, and that was a light one.

I bet it would be nearly impossible to find one under 8.5.
  18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Fender is making them so nice too. Get in on it before they screw it up with some 'new' ideas.
  19. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    My P5 is about 9.5 but well balanced, no neck dive. Very comfy.
  20. Thumper

I have one inbound, 8.5 lbs maybe a little less! 2010 and black/maple just what I wanted!