1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

PA & DI Boxes

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Coolhandjjl, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Our church got a new PA with XLR mic inputs up front and a mixer with phantom power in the rear. I have a Peavy Max Bass preamp with a DI out, so I'm covered. For the guitard players, they are all acoustic, some with built in pickups. One guy has passives, another has one of those new acoustics that has built in pickups with a built in preamp as well.

$200 active DI's are out of the question. Anything in the $50 range running off phantom power?
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The guitars without pickups will need mics. The ones that have a pickup but no preamp might benefit from an external preamp, not just a DI. At a minimum, make sure they get a DI with a very high input impedance, like 10 Meg for example. Higher than 1 Meg. The guitar with a preamp is just like an active bass, and will work fine with any passive DI (often a little cheaper than active ones from the same product line).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/dire...profileCountryCode=US&profileCurrencyCode=USD

If it was me, I'd save up for around the $100 mark per unit, maybe looking at the dbx models. But as you can see there are plenty of Behringer, Nady, Rolls, and ART options within your budget. Heck, the Behr DI20 covers two channels for $25.
  3. TimmyP

TimmyP

Audiopile.net. The active DI is quite good, and has a higher input impedance than some do - good for passive pickups.