1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

PA head as a bass head?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by accidentprone13, Dec 23, 2012.

1. accidentprone13

accidentprone13

There's a 300 watt Sunn PA head on Craigslist for $150, $400 for that and a pair of Peavey SP-2's with Black Widow speakers... My bass sound is with a lot of pedals anyways, so I often don't rely on the clean tone of the amp... Would this be louder than my Hartke HA2500 (which would be 250 watts with 2 4x10 cabinets)? Would it sound like dogshit? Could I plug my cabinets into said PA head? Sorry for the questions, I just never thought of PA heads as a way to get more volume until now!
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

PA amps can be a cheap way to get more power. But in your case the Hartke and two 410's will kick the 300 PA head and two SP-2's.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The difference between 250 and 300w is imperceptible to the human ear.
  4. accidentprone13

accidentprone13

Good to know! Then I guess I redirect this thread to: how the hell do I get more volume while not muddy-ing it up when using distortion pedals without selling my car for a Sunn 2000?
  5. B-string

Cut the bass and and low-mids back some. That will stop using your amps power for muddy stage rattle.
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

If that's a tube head it's probably snaffled already.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    You could buy a cheaper higher powered head with a significant amount of extra wattage. Or you could try what B-string said. Honestly, 250w through two 410's should not be a quiet rig by any means. Sounds to me like you're wasting a lot of wattage pushing lows too much.
  8. accidentprone13

accidentprone13

Okay, I've come to that conclusion a couple times on here and on the internet elsewhere. I hope that works. I think the main problem is that I'm in a two-piece band and carrying all string work by myself, and he has a Bonham sized kit, so I'm competing with a lot of volume. However, if you guys say I shouldn't be struggling that much then hopefully I just need to re-EQ.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    That's pretty cool doing a project like that.
  10. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Not a tube head then? There are some 300W Sunn PA tubers.

Drum and bass two piece? weehah! You really want a subwoofer PA to give people what I think they would be looking for: huge thumping kick! Too bad about sub bass sorry dude. You got the rest to play with.

On that theme, you might as well invest in some budget drum mics and a full PA and go to town on stage with a 2x10.
  11. accidentprone13

accidentprone13

It's great fun, and gets a lot of attention, we've just kinda hit a brick wall with this bass amp problem.

I'm not sure if it's tube or not, didn't ask! I can email the guy and see if it is!
  12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Ask what taps it has while you're at it.
  13. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You'd need to spend a bit on getting it tuned up but a 300W tube power stage is a thing of beauty.
  14. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

this is the kind of gig where you need to throw the rules out the window and create a bass wall o' doom!

sub cabs, bass guitar cabs, distorted guitar amps, you should have it all going!

(in all seriousness, a clean "bass" rig, along with a crunchy guitar rig for all the effects and craziness, could be really cool here.)
  15. accidentprone13

accidentprone13

i'm A/B/Y-ing between my Hartke and a Peavey 115 right now, but still plateauing volume wise, maybe I should add more!
  16. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

wrangle 5-600 watts for the dual 4x10 stack, say from a newer hartke head or even a regular power amp, then get a straight-up guitar rig, even a tube guitar rig, that you'd use for the effects and overdrive.
  17. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Nah, rules is rules. Rule breaking rigs with visaul appeal is little league stuff. Shoot for the big time and follow the rules along the way. Get yourself a couple of 2x10. Use one of them with PA support. If you got the goods you will sound great, a soundman's wet dream, or mix yourselves with your own PA.

Half the PA vs Backline threads someone chimes in with the time they were backstage at some famous cats' gig with their weeny mic'd rigs. Follow the rules, get famous.

Re the 300w tube option, grab it if you can, just because it can come in handy for a hairy arsed rock band, and it's bargain priced.
  18. accidentprone13

accidentprone13

19. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Seems like a decent deal based just on the SP2s if they're in good shape.
  20. B-string

You can feed that PA amp from the effects send of the Hartke. The Hartke will then be your preamp and will have no trouble running without a speaker cab attached.