PA system instead of an amp

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimmyCraig, Feb 6, 2014.

1. JimmyCraig

JimmyCraig

Hi there

I'm about to buy my first bass, but I've been playing friends basses for a long time and love basses. I've been hearing a lot how bassists usually go straight through the PA system during gigs instead of an amp.

Now, I am also a singer, and will need to get a PA system for that anyways (also a mic), but my money is pretty tight, so I was wondering:

Do I need to get a bass amp at all? Or can I just roll with a PA system for now?

Thanks
    Craig :bassist:
  2. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke Supporting Member

Trying to go direct through the PA is fine but I doubt it will save you much money. You will increase the demands on your monitor system, so you will probably have to spend all the money you save on the amp elsewhere. You may also find that you have a harder time getting a bass tone you like. There is a reason most players still spend the money on a quality amp.
  3. iownit4

iownit4

Get a amp..
  4. rtslinger

rtslinger

If you can't afford and amp than I would suggest a Di pedal such as Sansamp, you can get some decent amp samples out of these units and until you can afford an amp it will work going direct to a pa system
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Orpheus55

Orpheus55

I always run through the PA but also use a small amp as a stage monitor. I alternate between my PF500/Avatar 210 and an SWR WorkingPro 12. I must say, ther tilt-back SWR is great and has served me well as a monitor even in the largest of venues. You could always find a nice used combo on GK's used site.
  7. Mushroo

Mushroo

You will never regret having a $100 practice amp in my opinion (in addition to your PA).
  8. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

I currently am only using a EV ELX 15P for my main rig. I use a Zoom B3 for my preamp pedal. I would never go back to a traditional bass rig. I can walk into practice or a gig in one trip. Speaker in one hand, pedal bag and bass in the other. As far as tone, I like it. I've received more compliments from other musicians now, more than I ever had before. But I would definitely try both before you decide. If you hate it, it doesn't matter if it's light or if others like it.
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Buy an amp. If you go PA only, it's gonna have to be a good one with really good monitors that can handle bass. If you have an amp, you can get by with a vocal only PA.
  10. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

From my experience we have a top notch sound system at our church and I have tried running through a bass direct box with built in equalizer and it just doesn't give me the sound I like. I have since went back to my Mark Bass stack and run a line out and the sound is better. To me its a combination of most sound men doesn't know how to properly mix a bass in my opinion. Hard to get the bass sound right in most settings.