PA systems and such

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by pushbuttonfour, Dec 28, 2012.

1. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

First of all I'd like to thank everyone for answering my various other questions, and I'd also like to post one or two more. Currently, everything in my band practice sounds fine except the vocals, which are too quiet, muffled, and screech every few minutes (the terrible feedback screech). I can only assume it is because of the PA system, because I am using a Shure sm57 mic, which is supposedly the industry standard for vocals (on a small budget, that is).

My question is, what microphone amp (or PA system) has good quality and can compete with drums and 15 watt guitar amps? Obviously I don't want to break the bank, so I'm just looking for the lowest passable amp that is loud and has acceptable quality (doesn't make your voice sound "bad," like a football game announcer or something.)

Thanks again to everyone for all the help; I'm already loving this forum after a few days. :bassist:
  2. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz Supporting Member

You can use them either way but technically an SM57 is an instrument mic and a SM58 is a vocal mic.
  3. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz Supporting Member

Also I just got an Alto active 12's and they sound pretty good so far. Haven't been able to use them THAT much though. 300 a piece - coupons.
  4. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

There are about a million options. Might help if you tell us what "PA" you are using now.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

good point. a Harbinger HA60. It's a piece of crap :spit: It was my mistake to go with some no name brand rather than a good one.
  7. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

yeah I researched into which one was better, and it said the 57 was more versatile so I decided to go with that one.
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    The Shure SM's are 'quiet' mics. Have to boost the gain a tad. Check your speaker placement. You'll get squeal if your mic passes by a speaker. Some rehearsal spots are are typically small and mics and speakers don't quite get along in small spaces.
  9. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

OK - checked that system out and it looks pretty bad. Not many EQ options and only 60 watts, speakers look crappy too.

I have some Behringer stuff (which everyone likes to hate on) but it has been fine so far.

I'd say go used, maybe look for an older Peavey powered mixer and some speakers on Craigslist.
  10. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

wow, thanks for researching it. I usually prefer used, as I'd rather have a nice used piece of equipment than a crappy new one. But wouldn't mic amps be an exception, as the speakers could be blown and worn? It's not like you can replace the speaker, like you can with guitar strings.
  11. zachoff

zachoff

I have a Peavey PA400 and a couple old Peavey stacks. All of that stuff cost me $300 w/ cables. Played w/ a guitar player who used a V4 and full stack and I played w/ an SVT and 810. Vocal volume wasn't really a problem as much as drummer volume.
  12. mellowinman

mellowinman Fun at Really Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My band NEVER has feedback issues.

It's not because of the gear.

It's because we keep our volumes down on all the instruments.

You can't fight to get vocals up over NOISE.

It doesn't hurt to know how to EQ, though.
  13. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

all right, I'll check it out!
  14. zachoff

zachoff

FWIW, the model on the speakers is Peavey "1210-T PA Column"
  15. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

ok, thanks again
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    SM57s work fine for vocals, but the SM58 is the "industry standard." In fact, both mics use the same capsule, so there's very little difference in sound.
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I had a couple of those back in the late '70s. They're OK.
  18. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

To start its an ok pa .... 57s will work for vox
  19. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Better off with 58s for vocals. Look for a used Yamaha 512sc and some Peavey 12" 2 way speakers for mains. You will need monitors too, but in my opinion if you're going to seriously cheap out on something you'd rather do it on the monitors than the mains.

Personally I would save up and get a decent console, but if you are merely mic'ing vocals the Yamaha will do the job just fine as long as you have decent speakers.
  20. jive1

jive1 Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'm moving this to Live Sound, since it's where this belongs, and you might get some additional responses.
  21. pflash4001

pflash4001

Personally, I use a Peavey XR600 and a pair of Yamaha CM112Vs to rehearse. This mixer amp has 2 sections that will let you power 2 speakers for front of house and 2 speakers (in this case, the aforementioned Yamahas) as monitors for a small gig. That mixer has performed in a bar with a full drum set, Ampeg BA115HP, and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, mind you, we controlled our levels. I'm my experience, you can't beat those Peaveys bang vs buck.