PA wedge monitor as one of my cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by grisezd, Dec 10, 2012.

1. grisezd

grisezd

I play with a small town cover band, mostly for fun (weekend warrior type) and came into this with a big Madison 8x10 cab. Small stages and small rooms combined such that I could barely hear myself onstage while I was shaking the bottles off the wall at the bar. I got tired of carrying that around and swapped it for a Madison 4x10. I found that the shorter cabinet was easier to place on stage and with more separation I could hear myself better, but others in the band still had trouble hearing me. I still have the 4x10, but I picked up a Carvin 15whatever PA cab on recommendations here and find it to be even better, as I can always place it side stage, behind the mains and it's better yet. Still, I have to run it pretty loud to be heard across the drummer to the guitar side of the stage.

Now I'm wondering if I could put the Carvin on the guitar side of the drummer and use a wedge monitor for myself and the keyboard player to hear. I don't have to hear booming lows to know what I sound like, and it would be handy to have my sound coming up at my head rather than down at my knees!

Bad idea? Remember, this isn't FOH sound, it's my monitor. Could I get away with a strong 12in? I can probably lose the 4x10 if this works out, making my rig a lot easier to carry around.

The amp head is a Yorkville Bassmaster, 800W or something close to it.

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If you couldnt hear yourself with the 810, I dont think changing up cabs is going to help. IMHO the monitor is a no go as the vast majority of them suck for bass. Instead I think you need to look at your eq. You had no lack of volume with the 810, but you were not cutting through the mix. A tonal change needs to happen to find your own space in the mix.

3. grisezd

grisezd

I hear what you're saying, but I think the problem I had with the 8x10 is that I had to stand so close to it. When I used that cab on a larger stage I never had that trouble. Now that I run a cabinet with a horn (the Carvin) I do get to hear more top end which helps a lot, but the biggest difference, I think, has been having a cab that I can place far enough away on a small stage that the sound has a chance to develop before it gets to me.

I should say that I'm also trying to get our on-stage volume down (no, in-ears aren't going to happen with this bunch), so distributing the speakers rather than cranking them up seems to make some sense to me.

I will play with the EQ in the meantime, will try to get something happening there, but I'm pretty happy with our sound FOH.

I understand that a monitor wedge isn't optimized for bass, typically, but can anyone recommend one that does a reasonable job for my purposes.

Side note, I work in automotive R&D, though not directly with noise abatement. One of our labs has a couple of banks of 6in speakers mounted such that they can be placed under a lifted car, firing up. I imagine they play road/tire noise through them. I thought it would be fun to play bass through them. I surely don't want to carry them around, though!

4. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    I dont buy it. The 810 should be closer to your ear if you are standing right on it. If you couldnt hear yourself, then your EQ sucks.

Getting your stage volume down will help, but the eq will help more. If you cant hear yourself with the 810 its not about volume, its your tone.

fEARless 112. Best small bass wedge in the business IMHO.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. grisezd

grisezd

I just looked at the fEARless 112, looks like what I'm after. Now to start saving up the pennies.

Regarding EQ, I play mostly classic rock (how the small towns love their ACDC...) and tend to run my tone controls pretty flat on the amp, maybe with the highs down a touch and the mid lows up a touch. I can get decent tonal variety out of my basses with that setup so I'm happy there. I play with 2 guitars, drums, male vocal, and a two-handed keys player. I do clash with the keys, disappear at times. Aside from cutting off her left hand, what do you recommend I try for EQ?

Thanks

7. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Just gotta find your space with the mids. Those will let you cut through the mix.

I would also have a discussion with your keys player. Remind her that you can be loud enough to cover her up, so she should have the respect to stay out of your sonic space.

8. Tmoney865

Tmoney865 Banned

I believe it is cabinet distance and angle.

810's like the SVT design dd not part hari until 20 feet. That is just what it took for the wave to develop into the moving mass.

In a light practice one can afford to keep the amp close, but once the drums get going you have to contend with those waves and thus you have to move the cab as far as the drums.

I believe that the tone does not develop in any distance under 15 feet, whcih is why everyone sounds better than I do.

wedge is a good start, but placeing the Cab on the other side of the stage is better, how much for a 10 Ga 30 ft cable?

9. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Your beliefs are not based on any sort of fact. Your head phones have to be 15 feet from your ears to develop bass too right?