Padauk As A Fingerboard

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

Media:
    I was wondering if anyone's used padauk as a fingerboard, or if it is durable to hold up as one. Would it work for fretless as well?

2. godoze

godoze

Call Larry for a stabilized piece. I'm under the impression you can use ujst about any type of stabilized wood for a fingerboard. JP recently showed me a stabilized limba fb that he is using !

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

The Pedulla I used to have had a (fretted)padauk fretboard. The bass sounded good to me, and I noticed no wear in the 5 or so years I had it. My goal is to eventually get it back (it stayed in the family).

4. joeviau

joeviau

If I'm not mistaken, old Rickenbackers used padauk--it's also called vermillion.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

I believe that they did for certain periods, as you said, calling it vermillion. They also used bubinga and I think rosewood at different times.

7. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro

Disclosures:
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I've only used it once for a fingerboard. I got the impression it was not the most durable wood for fretless, but it worked well as a fretted bass. Bloodwood might be better for fretless. It's certainly more dense than padauk.

8. godoze

godoze

has anyone noticed tha Padauk "bleeds" when sanding ?

9. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro

Disclosures:
    If by "bleed" you mean "gets everywhere and will never come out", then yes.

10. godoze

godoze

"bleeds" as in i just used some in a heel block and upon sanding discovered that the dust became embedded in the adjoing tiger maple...

sorry for the ot post Bryan

11. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro

Disclosures:
    Actually, it's not altogether off topic, since a padauk fingerboard is probably going to end up on a maple neck.

Cocobolo is the same way, as far as bleeding during sanding, especially if you wet sand with oil. Padauk dust will ruin your clothing. Tiger maple is probably worse than regular old rock maple because the wavy grain means you get some end grain showing on all surfaces, and end grain will readily suck in fine dust.

About the best you can do is try to keep your sandpaper clean when you move from padauk to the other wood(s), and possibly wash the bass with some acetone or naptha before finishing to see if you can get some of the dust out.

12. freshbass

freshbass

I own a 65 P bass that I'm told is very rare. In fact my new luthier was just doing some fret work and called George Gruhn about it because he was surprised. George told him it's extremely rare. Rickenbacker's have Padauk fretboards. It's an L series w/ a pressed fingerboard made of Padauk. I always assumed it was brazilian rosewood. ALL I can tell you is it has a supple feel to it unlike any other Fender bass and the most amazing tone I've ever heard...very warm and full but cuts right through. I string it like all my basses w/ TI flats.

13. line6man

line6man

I'm almost irrationally opposed to open-grained woods being used as fingerboards. That being said, Padauk is one of the most open-grained woods I have dealt with. It's not particularly durable, either. On the other hand, Bloodwood is wonderfully smooth and durable, and has a reasonably similar appearance. I would opt for Bloodwood for a red fingerboard.

14. neptoon

neptoon

My lefay herr schwarz 5 had a padauk neck and board...great feel and tone...stayed in tune with no problems...

15. Beej

Beej

Nine year old thread... :)

16. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    :screwy:
    My Rics have Bubinga fretboards

Zombies rising

17. Brado

Brado

I would use it for a fretted fingerboard without hesitation. If for fretless, either do a good bit of acrylicizing/ maybe epoxy finish the board, or just go with bloodwood.