1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Paging (Harley?) motorcycle riders and mechanics

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by zuma, Apr 11, 2014.

1. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    My neighbor is trying to unload this motor that her boyfriend left behind. Any idea what it may belong to? My buddy said it's a V twin of some sort. What do y'all think?

She sent me these pictures via cell phone but I can surely get a closer look in person if I know what to look for. Any info would be much appreciated.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. i gave up on harley when they went evo,but that looks like an evo ....sportsters had the trans and engine as a unit but the secondary was on the right.... i think some of the new softail types maybe

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Thanks Jim, so you think it IS a Harley? She thought it was as well. I know cars but not bikes!

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I think it's missing some parts though. :D

The oil puddles on the ground around it are definitely HD markings.

-Mike

6. Can we get a pic from the right side based on your top pic?

7. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    2005-2007 Harley Twin Cam.
    Looks to be a FL but I need to see a good photo of the right side

On second look it is a FL motor and transmission. It would go in a Street Glide, Road King, Classic or Ultra Glide. The Road Glide motors were silver thows years.

8. sure looks hd to me....the shape of the case, valves springs ,pushrods etc,.....unless it's some kind of clone.....there's a lot more after market stuff these days but the good news is that it all is expensive....just make sure it's not hot....

9. That's what I was thinking, but I wanted to see the right side to be sure.

10. hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    The valve springs, throttle body and 5 speed tranny give it away.

11. newest one i had was an 80 fxef....oldest a 55 pan......gawd i miss that ....maybe i could tolerate a newer one now......i sure don't miss that hyper extended knee.....

12. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Ditto... Buell makes XL motors but this ones definitely an FL. Most likely legit because I don't know of any after-market FL clones.

There *should* be a serial # stamp on the left side of the motor between the cans which would indicate the year and displacement.

13. I have an '04 TC88 in a Fatboy. I knew it didn't look exactly like mine, but was close enough to have me wondering.

14. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    Listen to this guy, I'm pretty sure he knows what he's sayin'. :cool:

15. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Awesome guys! I'll look for that serial just for fun but I think we have the info she needs.

16. hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    It can not be a 07. Has to be a 05 or 06.
    Just remembered they went to the 6 speed in 07 and that's a 5.

If yo look on the cylinder head by the exhaust side on the top by the head bolt there should be a cast in circle with two numbers in it. should be 05 or 06. that is the casting # and will tell you the year easier than trying to decipher the vin #

17. Twin Cam 88. 99.99% sure.

hdracer is correct. Looks to be out of an FLH.

Hey HD, was it in 07 they went to six? I thought it was later. Although you would know better than I.

18. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Okay, just visited with my neighbor. For the record, she states that her ex bought this motor from a cop and it's not hot, though she has no paperwork. That being said, tell me if I should not be posting these numbers online. I don't see the harm but I don't have the mind of a criminal either.

What would be your advice on how she can sell this in a legal fashion since she has no paperwork? Anyone dare to muster a value?

More pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. after a certain period abandoned it's hers,and bikes are registered by frame numbers these days....i'd bet each state varies so i'd call and ask..value,too many variables,but i'd scan auto/bike trader mags....

20. Okay, looks to be a 2006.

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think it's any different than selling any other automotive/motorcycle/ATV part. For the most part, motorcycles are only recorded and tracked by vehicle VIN#. You see car engines for sale everywhere. This is really no different. Should be able to be sold with no legal ramifications.

Now....value....hmmm. Very subjective.

The TC88 is a pretty common motor. Showed up in all Harley's Big Twins for quite a few years. It's not really worth a whole lot, honestly. And some years had valve guide problems, IIRC the 05's. With most of the new-ish bikes running 96's and a lot of 103's it's not overly desirable, at least not in my mind, anyway. For the right price it's a great donor for a big bore kit.

Here is a link to Ebay so you can see what complete motors are selling for. The one you posted about needs a lot of stuff put back on.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...tor&_nkw=twin+cam+88+motor&_sacat=0&_from=R40

21. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Thanks! I searched eBay for a motor and trans combo. I saw one in pretty clean shape for a BIN of $2000. I am going to completely guess my neighbor may get $1250 for hers.