PAID Software Thread - Utilities and Applications You Gave Up Your Cash For

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stumbo, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Sometimes free software just doesn't get the job done.

Please post and comment on about any type non-music software you purchased so your TB brethren can benefit from your experience.

One rule: Please do not post about free software and discuss how you think it's better than what's posted here. There's already a thread for that. As far as comparing paid software, have at it.

Here are a few key items that you might consider cutting/pasting for your post:

Name:
    Manufacturer:
    Type:
    Website
    Social Media
    Date purchased:
    Version No.
    Platform: PC Mac Other:
    Price:
    Replaced free software name:
    Other:
    Comments:

I'll start:
    Name: MemoKit
    Type: Utility - RAM optimizer and editor
    Manufacturer: Software Benefits, Inc.
    Website MemoKit Plus - Computer memory manager and optimizer, virtual memory and cache optimizer
    Date purchased: 2002
    Version No. 4.8 (older version)
    Platform: PC
    Price: around $25
    Replaced free software name:
    Window standard memory utility
    Comments: I still use it today. I had a computer back in 2002 that ran Windows ME and needed to stabilize it.

MemoKit allowed me real-time and time sequenced access to RAM and helped me solve all the problems I was having. You have to know what you're doing to use the RAM application terminate function.

I researched all the various programs in RAM one by one until I understood what could not be terminated.

The taskbar icon indicates by color how much free memory you have. Very helpful. Also recovers and frees up RAM.

I haven't upgraded to the new subscription/update process yet. You can still get it with a one time payment for a year but updates after the year require a subscription.

2. Stumbo

I guess no one buys software anymore. Oh, well.:atoz:

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have some, I am just too lazy to give the explanations, reviews, and links like you did. :)

-Mike

4. CrewsControl

CrewsControl

GrooVe IP (for Android) $4.99.

Allows you to place and receive calls through your Google Voice phone number from your Android device, using Wifi alone. Your cell carrier doesn't even see the calls. Hell, you don't even need a cell carrier.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If that could text too, I'd be all over it. Nice find!

-Mike

7. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

Let me see the only three softwares I bought for my MBP are Office, Antidote HD and Photoshop CS4 (Student license).

But I bought a few apps:
    Mixologist, Fruit Ninja, Angry Birds, Tunein Radio, Songsterr+, iMuscle.

8. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future Gold Supporting Member

Digital Performer by MOTU

Mach5 III by MOTU

Lots and lots of Universal Audio plugins to go with my UAD PCI card

SpectraFooX by metric Halo

MainStage by Apple
    (Got it last month)

Lots of iPhone/iPad apps

9. Ziltoid

Which iphone apps? I'm curious a bit.

10. Inverse Kinetix

Inverse Kinetix

This site has been invaluable to me, in terms of tweaking by box (pc) for not only music apps, but general improvement.

http://www.blackviper.com/

11. Stumbo

Thanks for posting.:hyper:

12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    I'm not counting software that came with new computers.

Turbo Pascal versions 1 through 5, from ca. 1984 - 1990.

PKZip when it was Shareware.

In 1998, I bought Visual Basic and Microsoft Office on an academic discount. I'm still using both of those products today, and am probably going to buy a newer version of Office soon. I've abandoned VB in favor of Python. But Excel has not been surpassed.

13. Inverse Kinetix

Inverse Kinetix

enjoy tweaking!

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    For PC, the paid high-res version of TrueRTA was very much worth the price, to me. Also WinASO Registry Optimizer seems to do its job well and was worth paying for. And actually, you may laugh, but I paid for the MS Office bundle and I have no regret. I tried Open Office, which is free and claims to be 100% compatible with MS, but that's a lie. It produced mediocre documents that had loads of corruptions and faults whenever somebody tried to open them with the actual MS software. I tried other office-doc freeware as well. And you know what, none of them was worth the time I spent, because I need my docs to look and function perfectly when somebody -anybody- else tries to use them, typically using MS Office on their machine. Plus programs like Excel and Word just happen to work really, really well.

For iPhone, I try the free versions, but if I like the app I'll buy the paid version every time. I hate seeing ads, and sometimes the paid versions have more/better functionality too. Words W Friends for example. Also Plants Vs Zombies was so addictive, I def got more than my money's worth from that one. For an actual utility, What's App is a good value, as it allows you to text infinitely for free as long as you're in wifi range; note though that the recipient also has to have What's App on their phone.

15. scorpionldr

scorpionldr

FL studio. When I was in my active days, it was a best friend for quickly making tracks. It helped some of my previously repressed ideas come forward when bandmates were unwilling to help because they felt it was "a stretch" in effort of songwriting. I tried working with a drum machine, I tried working with separate synths, but this thing does it all, and does it well. I couldn't reach the magnitude of things I wanted to construct without it.

16. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Name: Transcribe!
    Manufacturer: Seventh String Software
    Type: music slow-downer, transposer, looper, and general all-around awesomeness
    Date purchased: 09/2007
    Platform: PC, Mac, and Linux
    Price: $50
    Other:
    Comments: Best $50 I've ever spent on music software. It allows me to easily and quickly loop tunes or sections of tunes so I can learn them quickly. I can also easily change the key, isolate the bass part, or any myriad number of things to aid in my learning a song. This one piece of software is what lets me learn an entire four sets of material in a day or two if I REALLY need to. This should be in every serious musician's toolkit, hands down.

17. OOZMAN

OOZMAN

Just get 16GB of fast ram and not have to worry about that sort of stuff, like me. :D :bag:

18. Calaverasgrande

Calaverasgrande

On MAC, I greatly prefer using Office 2010 over previous versions of office or the native Mail client/keynote/etc.
    PC I could list dozens of games, utilities and music production software, but the one I like the most is a free app called TFC by "oldtimer" that clean up temp files.
    I've seen computers get 16gb of free space back!

On iphone
    filtatron and animoog

19. ksihawk7

ksihawk7

Has anyone ever bought WinZip?

20. Ziltoid