1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Pain in palm after playing finger style?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by IAmLiamF, Mar 16, 2014.

1. IAmLiamF

IAmLiamF

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes!

I've just got out of a two hour practice with my band, and I have this throbbing pain in my right palm, which is my picking (plucking?) hand. Is this normal? I've just switched back to playing finger style, so could this be a factor? It's been a while since I've practiced finger style, and I didn't warm up today, so those could be factors as to why I'm in pain?

It could just be from not warming up/not practicing/switching back to fingers, but I just want to make sure that there would be no future problems in the future!

Thanks a lot :)

2. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

Let it heal for a couple days. It will throb less as you get in better shape to play. Pain in the bones is what you want to worry about.

3. fearceol

fearceol

Two hours is a lot of playing when your hand has not had a chance to re adjust to finger style. You probably over did it, plus not warming up did not help. Also, you may have being digging in a lot without realising it. As said above, rest up for a day or so, then build up the playing time gradually....after warming up...of course. ;)

4. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

a few thoughts:
    Could you be pressing your forearm down hard onto the bass while playing?
    I did this on a bass with no forearm contour and would get pain or go numb occasionally.
    Are you tensing up your fist while playing? A bad technique that I've seen before, it can easily lead to pain in the palm.
    Lastly, relax while playing, and remember to stretch.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Russell L

Russell L

I bet your wrist is at the wrong angle.

7. Goteky45

Goteky45

If your palm is in pain, you are using the wrong muscles to play.
    Dont press your forearm on the countour.
    Have you hand relaxed. Make sure your wrist is at a proper angle.
    Use the strength of your fingers only.

Have a fellow bass player or teacher look at your technique. Serious injury can come from stress on the palm muscles.

8. Lownote38

Lownote38

You also might be playing too hard. A light and relaxed touch can go a long way.