1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Paint job issue

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by conway1521, Feb 7, 2013.

1. conway1521

conway1521

Hey guys, I am currently in the process of building a Fender Jazz bass. I have all the parts ready, all that's left is to paint the body. i have chosen a color, the one of the Hagström Swedie called 'Atlantic Blue'. Here is a picture:

[​IMG]

I have looked online but all i have found is car paint. Although one could use car paint, i would prefer not to, seeing as i only need a small amount (enough for a bass body, not a pick-up truck). So, does anyone know where I can buy spray paint of this color in a regular can? maybe there is another name for this color spray paint that i do not know of.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

You can buy automotive paint by the pint
  3. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

You probably won't find a color with that name. And if you do, there is no guarantee that the color is exactly the same.

Go here: http://www.ralcolor.com/

Find the color you want. You then have a RAL code that many paint manufacturers can cross reference to. Much easier to deal with than paint names.

A work of caution, though: You computer monitor or printer may not reproduce the color 100% correctly. If you decide to print the colors you want (if you want to take it to a shop to compare, for instance) you must use photo paper in your printer. Normal paper will make colors way less vivid. Most paint shops should have a calibrated print of the colors so you can double check the color before you buy.