Paint job issue

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by conway1521, Feb 7, 2013.

1. conway1521

conway1521

Hey guys, I am currently in the process of building a Fender Jazz bass. I have all the parts ready, all that's left is to paint the body. i have chosen a color, the one of the Hagström Swedie called 'Atlantic Blue'. Here is a picture:

[​IMG]

I have looked online but all i have found is car paint. Although one could use car paint, i would prefer not to, seeing as i only need a small amount (enough for a bass body, not a pick-up truck). So, does anyone know where I can buy spray paint of this color in a regular can? maybe there is another name for this color spray paint that i do not know of.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

You can buy automotive paint by the pint
  3. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

You probably won't find a color with that name. And if you do, there is no guarantee that the color is exactly the same.

Go here: http://www.ralcolor.com/

Find the color you want. You then have a RAL code that many paint manufacturers can cross reference to. Much easier to deal with than paint names.

A work of caution, though: You computer monitor or printer may not reproduce the color 100% correctly. If you decide to print the colors you want (if you want to take it to a shop to compare, for instance) you must use photo paper in your printer. Normal paper will make colors way less vivid. Most paint shops should have a calibrated print of the colors so you can double check the color before you buy.