Paint Stripper Harmful to Chrome?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dtripoli, Nov 20, 2012.

1. dtripoli

dtripoli

Bought a beater Squier P-Bass for cheap.
    Previous owner spray painted the chrome hardware black;
    Bridge, tuners, string tree and strap nuts.
    If I buy all these parts from stew-mac along with volume pot and knobs, I'll be into it more than the bass cost.
    I'm thinking to just dip the tuners in stripper then brush and hose them off?

Attached Files:

2. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

If you take everything completely apart it shouldn't hurt anything.

If you want to be really safe soak the parts in DOT 3 brake fluid. It will lift the paint and not discolor the chrome. It will even lubricate the parts and you will not have to use water on them.

3. dtripoli

dtripoli

Good idea brake fluid, I have dot 4 on hand which I am sure is the same result

4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

DOT 4 will work but it may take longer. It isn't quite are hard on paint as 3 is. DOT 5 will not hurt paint at all.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Brake fluid definitely can lift paint, and it's water soluble to make clean-up easy.

Afterwards...probably a good idea to use a DROP of oil - or - since WD-40 was designed to displace moisture - spray sparingly with WD-40.

7. dtripoli

dtripoli

Here are the progress pix.
    *The bridge is not worth fixing. Missing saddle screw, rusty and pretty much toast. I ordered replacement.
    *Tuners I will Brake fluid dip this weekend and let you know/see the results.

Attached Files:

8. dtripoli

dtripoli

*Headstock picked up the paint from the tuners. I guess he put them back on before the paint cured. The tuners will cover the paint but I will know it's there. I'm thinking maybe a light sanding then a clear coat?

Attached Files:

9. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

OK, but it will also contaminate the finish. It's not easy to remove all of the silicone.

10. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love... Supporting Member

I used Strip-X stripper (the 30 min version) for a used SWR grill... no damage at all.

before
    [​IMG]
    after
    [​IMG]

11. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

Sand as far as you need and use this stuff:::

[​IMG]

You'll love it and it's idiot proof!

12. dtripoli

dtripoli

Thanks...that products looks like just what I need.

13. dtripoli

dtripoli

BTW, here the front of the headstock before it was disassembled.
    And yes, the D string was strung backwards and that is years of grime on the nut
    I still have high hopes of turning this sows ear Squier into a beautiful Precision silk purse.

Attached Files:

14. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

Looks to me like Strip X contains methylene chloride. As a rule I'd stay well away from any product that contains methylene chloride. Look at the material safety data sheet. Carcinogen and the only respirator approved for protection against the vapors is a supplied air/air line type. Your standard cartridge respirator won't cut it.

Every time I have conducted air sampling in places that used methylene chloride, even for relatively short periods of time I found exposures well above permissible levels.

15. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

Yup - I'm surprised that Cal OSHA allows it yet, but here's their assessment of it:::

16. dtripoli

dtripoli

Please, no more Cal-Osha details. For God's sake, we aren't applying this stuff daily in huge quantities. I deal with OSHA on a weekly basis with work and those guys spend more time justifying their need for existence than actually safeguarding workers.
    We are talking bass repair here not government oversight.

17. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

Well - if you're a lab rat, it would be interesting.

18. dtripoli

dtripoli

This here "lab rat" successfully removed all traces of paint from the tuners, strap nuts, screws
    and tree without enduring the wrath of Khan or Cal-OSHA.
    Took tuners apart and soak everything except the plastic spacers in Dot 3 Brake fluid.
    Let sit over night then brushed with a soft wire brush. Afterwards, cleaned off brake fluid with
    Dawn dish washing soap and water, then dried. Lightly WD-40'd the gears.
    Unfortunately the previous paint-happy owner had used a fine grit sandpaper on the chrome
    to rough it up so the black paint would adhere better. Looks OK and sort of has a relic'ed look to them.
    Getting this beater Squier has been a great way to learn basic bass repair without the worry
    of damaging an expensive instrument

Attached Files:

19. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

People like that need their thumbs bent severely.

20. waterboy

waterboy Supporting Member

Lost my coffee on that one. Good stuff. :D

21. dtripoli

dtripoli

Rebuild/repair went great. Got everything back together. P-Bass has a great tone and decent playability.
    This bass was born in July 03(was stamped on neck butt end) and never had a damn thing done to it except abuse. Neck had never been adjusted and even with many turns on the truss rod over a 3 day period, still has a slight bow. I guess the wood compressed from years of being allowed to be bowed. Other than that, it is now my bass at arms length when ever I get the urge to play w/o having to unpack my gig bass. I thought I'd have to replace the pickups but they are solid and great tone.

Attached Files: