1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

painting a Fender Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tmjordan100, Jan 30, 2014.

1. tmjordan100

tmjordan100

Hi,

A friend of mine who is an abstract artist said he would paint a design on my fender jazz for free.. was wondering if there is any danger in this that would affect tone/playability? I would strip the hardware and take off the neck beforehand. I would be going for something similar to the Flea Damien Hirst bass.

I'm never going to sell this bass so I'm not worried about it being devalued, I just fancy having something different and 'out there'

Thoughts?

2. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

If it's going to be sanded it could change the tone, albeit not drastically. Also is it a poly or a nitro finish? And with what kind of paint is he going to do it?

3. tmjordan100

tmjordan100

I think its a nitro finish, its a 2005 american standard in mystic red. The artist plans on spraying over it rather than sanding it down first. I'm not sure what paint he will use, is there any in specific to use/be avoided?

Thanks

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I think the Am Std is poly. Scuff it and paint it, and if you don't like it wipe it off with thinner and repolish the original finish. (not a luthier, just what I think)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Davo-London

Davo-London

It'll be fine. Question is what are you going to put on top of the new paint?

Davo

7. pfox14

pfox14

Changing the finish or adding to it will not effect tone or playability at all. Make sure the artist is well-versed in finish compatibility, so whatever he's using over the original finish will not flake off. I would suggest that you put some kind of clear coat over the finished artwork for protection.

8. tmjordan100

tmjordan100

Ok thanks guys, I'll ask the artist what he usually layers on top for protection. I'll post a pic when its done!

9. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty

Its definitely poly. I don't think it will effect tone or playability.

If he is going to strip the poly, that will be a reasonable pain in the arse.

10. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I think I'd buy a cheap Mighty Mite or Squire body and let your friend have at it. Not a MIA Fender.