1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Painting a pickguard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by keep it low, Jan 24, 2013.

1. keep it low

keep it low

I'm completely stripping down my fender p deluxe special and starting from scratch, my uncle wanted to paint one of his mushroom trips onto the pickguard and I said go for it! He uses mostly acrylic paints, would that adhere with a gloss finish? Heres some pics 1359052775486.jpg 1359052799877.jpg sand it down? What should I do

2. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Not for long...

3. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    You could scuff it. There's also plastic primer that's supposed to work with just about any paint. Then you could put clear over the top. You might find an old pickguard on the cheap to practice on.

4. simplebass

simplebass

I've had really good luck by wiping the pickguard down (lightly) with lacquer thinner first then spraying it. The thinner softens the plastic up just a little and I get a better bond with the paint.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. simplebass

simplebass

I didn't read your post well enough, if your going to use acrylics I would do the afore mentioned then a quality spray primer (oil). Many oil primers are designed to accept a topcoat of oil or acrylic, so make sure the one you get does accept acrylic. Also a clear acrylic topcoat would be wise as someone else had mentioned.

7. keep it low

keep it low

1359919411217.jpg here it is, just need to get some glossy polyurethane finish for it

8. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Wow! I hope this holds up for you.