1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Painting Hartke amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Michael Giffone, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Michael Giffone

Michael Giffone

Hey all,

I just recently acquired a used Hartke 2115 combo amp, and I'm very pleased with its sound. :) However, it looks bad with the black fuzzy carpet covering on it:

[​IMG]

I'm considering removing the black carpeting and then spray-painting the wood underneath. I would paint it either black, blue, or orange. Is this a good idea? Has anyone done this before? This is my first bass amp, so help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike
  2. mikeddd

mikeddd Supporting Member

The carpet is most likely glued on. Removing it all will be more difficult than it seems at first. You will wind up with shreds of carpet and lumps of glue all over the cabinet which will require a paint scraper or electric sander to remove. It can be done but you will work for it. Gutting the cabinet first, of course, is the smartest way to go. If you can't remove or don't want to deal w/removing the amp/speaker, then do a good masking/taping job before you start. Black is always classy on an amp or cabinet. Electric blue outside with the speaker baffle left black (ala Avatar's blue Tolex cabs) also looks good IMO. Good luck!
  3. perogato02

perogato02

I have seen a Hartke combo dressed up in red vinyl, chesterfield style ... it had a certain 'hmmmm, yeah, I dig it'
  4. mikeddd

*scratches chin* Yeah, I guess you could get it re-covered. If you don't have a music store/repair shop that does that kind of work you could always check with a local upholstery shop. Way back when I paid a shop $40 to vinyl a subwoofer box for my car. New vinyl and new metal corners would look sharp. :)
  5. hover

hover

The cabinets are made of osb. Therefore it'll look absolutely horrible painted over. The same reason they don't use tolex, it'd translate right through, whereas rat fur is more forgiving.
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Think about trying Duratex. Should come out just fine.
  7. mikeddd

Ouch. I got nothin' at this point.
  8. Nic.

Nic.

Trust me, re-wrapping it is going to be MUCH less work than repainting. You could probably rewrap it in a morning. It'll take you several days at the very least, and a lot of waiting time, to repaint it.
  9. mikeddd

Easy way out: Gut the box, rip off all the old carpet, bring the box to a car stereo place and say "Wrap this in black carpet. How much?" Done.
  10. pasta4lnch

pasta4lnch Supporting Member

take the grill off and paint it - more people will see that than anything else . . .
  11. gregoire1

gregoire1

You could rebuild the box out of 1/2 in. ply and have a much lighter, better looking combo:bassist: but since you ask about finishes, I,ve had great luck with Ozite. Its like automotive carpeting, availble in many department stores, and cheap.
  12. Michael Giffone

Michael Giffone

Thanks for your input!

So I think I should go to an upholstery shop or guitar shop, get a brand new "rat fur" covering(do they come in different colors?) and replace my old covering with the new. I'll also get those nice metal corners :)

If you have any more suggestions don't hesitate to post!

Thanks!
  13. mikeddd

Rat fur or Ozite comes in about a billion colors. Typically, a decent car stereo place will have black/gray/tan/brown in stock. You could always buy the stuff yourself online, then bring it to them for covering. Partsexpress.com is a great source for this stuff.