1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

painting pick ups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thunderbird66, Nov 14, 2012.

1. thunderbird66

thunderbird66

I have a set of active emg's i a wanna drop in my epiphone les Paul bass.
    black bass & ivory pickups. thinkin about shooting them with krylon fusion flat black. any thoughts on how this will change tone or not a good idea. thanks

2. Batmensch

Batmensch

Won't change the tone. The question should be, what are the covers made of and how are they finished, that would dictate whether or not a refinish could be done that wouldn't wear off and look like crap after short time.

3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

the paint will flake off. Plastic and even moreso textured plastic is a very difficult material to paint, especially with anything from a spray can.

4. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

But you're in good company: George Harrison painted up his Strat, "Rocky," during the Beatles' psychedelic phase, and it ended up in Magical Mystery Tour.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

If the covers are ABS, PVC or something like them, Fusion will work fine- it has some really strong solvents that soften the plastic, making it adhere better but they still need to be grease/oil/dirt free. Some plastics won't accept paint, no matter what kind, though.

7. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Flat paint won't be flat for long- skin oil and abrasion will burnish it unevenly. Better to use eggshell.

8. CnB77

CnB77

You might find that vinyl dye will work to actually tint the pickups rather than merely put a coating on the outer layer. You can email EMG and find out what sort of plastic the covers are made of and make sure it's compatible with your product. People do this on computer cases and lego bits all the time