Paints which do I choose.....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Digitalheadless, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Digitalheadless

Digitalheadless

Here's a question which probably comes up very often but I'm going to ask anyway just to try and get the bottom of the subject....

Ok here goes...

Which paints are best used - nitrocellulose or acryllic (I know from rc expeiance that enamal is a no go - to soft and basicly junk) I've been digging on the net here and there and most seem to be using nitro. I'm on my first build so would like to get it right without paying out for a big mess. I alway understood that the order is - primer, colour, laquar, then last night I was looking for paints ect and came across a primer that acted as a sealer and primer (hmmm sounds good to jobs in one) around about £10 a 400ml spray tin, then I came across a colour that claimed to be a solid colour laquer £17 400ml tin- just spray over primmer and polish no ned for finishing laqure, does anyone know these mixes ar any good or am I oing to wasting my time and money. Anyone got any better surgestions? Acrylic puts me of a bit to due to the drying times sometimes weeks... But what is the best way to jump, I like the idea of sealer/primer and finsh with colour laquer and striaght to poshish and buff.

Any pointers, nudges in the right direction would be very helpful, it would be a shame to spoil a body thats been really well made and finshed ready for finishing.

Thanks in advance

Neil
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I am assuming you are talking about using spray cans. If so, I would only use nitro, as it is the only finish that quality isn't so compromised to get it to spray well out of a rattle can. If you have spray equipment, I would recommend a single stage urethane.
  3. Digitalheadless

Digitalheadless

Thanks for you response Hopkins.
    Yeah rattle cans as I've seen them called. But is it theasable to consider a solid colour laqure which say you can go straight poshish and buff without an extra laquer finish. Basically missing a step
  4. Hopkins

Do you mean that you want a single stage lacquer with out having to use a clear?
  5. pfox14

pfox14

Definitely nitro lacquer. It is hard, durable and just about every manufacturer uses it for guitars. No need for a primer, if you use a good vinyl sealer first.
  6. Hopkins

Actually nitro is soft, checks, wears easily, and most manufactures have long since switched to poly finishes for the majority of their instruments.

I get my best results by using the same finish throughout the finishing process. For example, if I do a clear nitro finish, I only use clear nitro lacquer. A vinyl sealer has a tendency to expand and contract at a different rate than the nitro on top of it and can make a nitro finish start checking prematurely. If doing a color finish, I seal it with clear nitro and spray color on top of that once the finish is level.
  7. Digitalheadless

Digitalheadless

Well that is what appears to be available. So basically I can scrap the primer use a nitro clear lacquer to seal and then put a nitro colour on top and then polish/buff...
    Does this still give a good high gloss finish without using a clear laquer on top?
  8. reverendrally

reverendrally

P.s. whatever you use, make sure you have a really good face mask and fresh filters in it. The other reason people stopped using nitro is, it's really nasty stuff.
  9. Digitalheadless

Digitalheadless

Just bought a new one with all the filters due to the fumes of passed spray jobs ;)