1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

pair of 410s...stacked or side by side?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by WCHIII, Dec 17, 2012.

1. WCHIII

WCHIII

Just wondering if there would be any noticeable difference with a pair of Ampeg 410 he cabs placing them both on the floor rather than stacking. I've always heard cabs like to be on the floor. I like the idea of stacking so I can hear what Im doing a little better..
  2. Mykk

Mykk

Aesthetics.

Stacking makes more sense to me for the audible reasons and to have the head/knobs at eye level. Do whatever your comfortable with and what your ears tell you sounds better. From my experience, it's better to take up less realestate on stage and to have a smaller footprint thus stacking upwards instead of outwards
  3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Vertical stacking is always better than horizontal.
  4. shoot-r

shoot-r

+100!!!!!
  5. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

It's not just aesthetics, it's audio science.

Vertical always, never side by side.
  6. Big Brother

Big Brother

You get better horizontal dispersion through vertical stacking as I understand, due to interference and wave cancellation. Which means that stacked vertically, you are broadcasting to the room instead of bouncing your sound off the ceiling or projecting into space.

Has to do with the line array principle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_array
  7. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

Exactly. The sound is closer to your ears which results in you turning your gear down because you can hear yourself better than having the speakers on the ground

Plus, you take up the same amount of space on stage as one 410.
  8. bertbass666

bertbass666

9. WCHIII

WCHIII

Great comments! Thanks yall.. Feel like Christmas has come early. I really do appreciate the help as this all is a learning process for me. You guys rock!...
  10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

And some times we Country,
    And some other times we Blues! :D
  11. Raymeous

Raymeous

Stacking them on a tight stage makes sense but placing them on either side of the stage would help with coverage and monitoring.

You could run across the stage and still hear yourself and guitar dude on the other side would be able to hear you enough to keep in time. Just sayin' =)
  12. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

:rollno:
    This is erroneous. Stacking increases your dispersion aka coverage.
  13. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    In that case you loose most of your hard earned midrange intelligibility
    and effectively half your amplifier power.:bassist:
  14. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Even worse then side by side :rollno:
  15. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Question:
    Why have I seen many guys on TV shows laying their Ampeg 810 on it's side?
  16. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Because they don't know, or don't care.
  17. astack

astack Supporting Member

Because they aren't connected to a head? :D

If your a 99%er player, yeah vertical and all that. But if you're a big touring guy with all FOH sound and just paid to show off the amp maker's badge, doesn't matter. Oh wait, it's easier to see the brand stacked vertically, too. :confused: :p

For the record, John Stirratt sounds great live dispite his side by side 4x10's. (see above)
  18. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

Also because it "looks cool". They could also be fake cabs and/or the bass player is already getting everything through in-ear monitoring. Maybe the bass player likes to hear less midrange on stage. In some bands (midrange heavy guitars) this can be really helpful.