1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pairing a "mudbucker" with a "thunderbucker"

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DrSpunkwater, Feb 13, 2013.

1. DrSpunkwater

DrSpunkwater

I had the idea in my head earlier of pairing a mudbucker with a thunderbucker on my SG bass. Has anyone tried something like this? I'm curious what it would sound like.

If not, I might consider this an experiment.
  2. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    My modded '76 Ibanez Destroyer. It's been in pretty much this configuration since '85. The 60's Gibson Muddy with the Thunderbird pick up is a great combination. Without a doubt one of my best sounding basses![​IMG]
  3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I am building a dual mudbucker SG bass.
  4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

5. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

I've wanted to do this with my Dairybath bass which is essentially a p bass with a dimarzio will power in the neck position. I was thinking about putting the thunderbird pickup just below the p bass pickup
    [​IMG]
  6. Niff

Niff

i'm building a triple mudbucker SG bass. possibly redundant, definitely awesome
  7. DrSpunkwater

DrSpunkwater

Very nice, guys. LOVE the destroyer and the SG builds. This stuff makes me think this is definitely a good idea. Question is, what kind of Thunderbucker should I get?

godofthunder59, how does your destroyer sound with both pickups on?
  8. godofthunder59

Disclosures:
    Full on the mudbucker over powers the Thunderbird pup, I dial in a little mud, the bass really roars but maintains top end and definition. I highly recommend Thunderbuckers! I have the 'hot 66 and the MAX in a couple of basses. I love the MAX here is a clip of it in my Cataldo siggy NR https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=474153225956006&set=vb.98848571338&type=2&theater
  9. DrSpunkwater

DrSpunkwater

I was actually thinking about the MAX. For a minute I thought to myself that they might be too hot. And then I remembered the insane resistance of the mudbucker. Which one do you think would be a better match, the 66 or the MAX?
  10. godofthunder59

Disclosures:
    I think I'd go with the MAX! The Destroyer has a Seymour Duncan Custom Shop repro 60's Thunderbird pup under a '76 cover, the work was done several years before the Thundebuckers were avaiable. When I can I'll swap out the SD for a Thunderbucker, Steve Soar really nails it.
  11. DrSpunkwater

DrSpunkwater

Aye, MAX it is. I'll pick one up when I can swing it. I just bought a mudbucker from Curtis Novak, so it might take a while to round up the scratch.

I'm in the midst of "EB3-ing" my SG bass, and just today I was seized by the thought of a Thunderbucker in place of the stock mini-humbucker.
  12. DrSpunkwater

DrSpunkwater

Just received my Novak Mudbucker yesterday. It certainly has some heft to it! I didn't realize mudbuckers were so heavy.

Anyway, I ordered a Thunderbucker Max Bridge today. Can't wait to get it so this project can come to fruition! I'll be a little honest: The thought of a real mudbucker paired with a Thunderbucker MxBridge scares the hell out of me!