1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Pairing an SVT 210 and PF 210

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MYager, Mar 30, 2014.

1. MYager

MYager

Hey, I've always played out of one 4 ohm cab but wanna switch to using two for portability. I have an svt 210 I use for practice and love it. Was looking at purchasing a portaflex 210 for $200 thats in great shape. (probably look kinda weird stacked with my 210svt) Would these cabs match?? I know the svt210 has a lower power rating. I heard mixing different speaker sizes isnt the best idea so thats why Im thinking about the portaflex. Would mixing driver sizes also be a decent option??

I play out of an ampeg b2re if it matters.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    It's 50/50 as to whether it'll work, bro. I've never done it, but I did try it with the PF115he and SVT 210av, and I didn't dig it. That said, the PF210he is voiced a bit tighter in the lows than the PF115he so it may work better, but I've never played a non-matched cab rig I liked better than a matched rig.

3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

As long as the efficiency ratings are similar and both cabs are 8 ohms, I don't see a problem. The PF's character is a bit darker and deeper so the two paired might sound pretty good. The head isn't that powerful so I wouldn't worry about running out of steam with the SVT210 because the two cabs together will give you a lot more volume. Let's see what the Ampeg guy says...

4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

He beat me to it!!

:D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MYager

MYager

Found a matching 210he just showed up on craigslist this morning. It's mint other than missing Ampeg plates. But it's only $150!!!!

7. MYager

MYager

That's exactly what I was worried about. I figured the cabs would have completely different voicing and end up sound weird when paired. Hopefully I can grab this 210he tonite

8. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
  10. MYager

MYager

Actually just look at the back panel of the amp I noticed it looks different from mine. It's a svt210 pro. Is this any different from my svt 210he??

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Good question. I'm not familiar with a 210 Pro, although I am familiar with the 210 Pro Neo, which is definitely different. However, I doubt he'd be selling it for $150 if it was the Pro Neo. So I'll have to leave this question for those more familiar with both.

12. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

The SVT-210HE (SLM) had a tweeter and a two rear ports. The SVT 210 Pro looked the same. It was 300W 8 ohms. There was also the SVT 410 Pro, 600W 8 ohms in the same series. Again, this was an SLM product.

The Pro Neo 210HLF has a shelf port in the front of the cab. It is a current product. The SVT210AV is yet another current variation on the name.

13. MYager

MYager

So it's essentially the same cab with a higher power rating? I can't find any information on the cab.

14. Major Softie

Major Softie

I can't find anything on it either, but it's not "essentially" the same if it has different drivers, even if the cabinet is the same. For $150 it is definitely worth hauling your gear over there and testing it out. It would be nice to know if it has the same sensitivity though.

15. beans-on-toast

It's odd that Loud has the manual for the SVT-210HE on their site in the discontinued section, but nothing for the Pro from the same era. Maybe an oversight.

Perhaps they might have something that they could email you. Worth contacting customer service.

16. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

The SVT-210HE sounds nothing like the current sealed AV model (or PF).
    The Pro series are also different, using other drivers. I'd guess none of the above combos would be great, but the low sensitivity, deep sound, ported HE is the toughest to integrate with another design.

17. MYager

MYager

I picked up the pro 210. The cabs are identical. And although I've only.played it for like 30min I can't tell too much of a difference between the two. They sound great stacked. Very even sound. Very portable. Only $150! Score!

18. MYager

MYager

Any one know where I can pick.up the classic emblem that goes in the corner? I found the Ampeg one but can't find the classic

19. beans-on-toast

Not a bad deal at all.

Places that sell the logo's have what Loud currently makes available. I might be worth contacting Loud to see if they have parts in their inventory.

Othwise ebay might be your best bet. Or have one 3D printed if you have one to copy.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Huh? Getting models confused, I do believe.

21. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Hmmm...

I have two SVT-210HE and they are nothing like the current PF or AV models. I also have a couple of printed Ampeg catalogues from the 90s, when the HE/HLF and Pro series were new. It is been a while, but I am sure the pro models are listed as having cast frame drivers, whereas the other series use stamped frame drivers.

But I might be wrong...:(