1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pairing different EMG pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by babi, Mar 29, 2013.

1. babi

babi

Hello! I couldn't find a similar topic here, so sorry if it had been discussed before.

Right now I have two EMG 35DC pickups in my custom made mahogany 4-string. I don't really like the bridge pickup by itself, it's sort of papery/thin/dry - so I'm thinking switching it to an MMCS or equivalent MM-style EMG pickup. Would it make a difference sound-wise? Will the signal levels match with the neck pickup (35DC)?

Thank you!
  2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The CS will sound warmer than the DC. EMG once told me the DC was not intended for bridge positions, it was actually meant to sound like a Musicman pickup.

I used to mix EMGs all the time, and mostly used the 40P5 and 40J combination.
  3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge

Very true: IIRC the DC was developed to be the Music Man-type pickup for Modulus Graphite's Quantum Basses "SweetSpot" in the mid-'90s, and not a traditional Bridge Pickup. When owning one of my only EMG'd Spector Basses - I'm a huge fan of their "Euro Bolt-On"/"ReBop" line, and use Nordstrand Big Singles & Aguilar OBP-3SK/PPs in 3 of my 4 for a more "SpectorJazz" tone from the combination of bolt-on construction, woods & pickups used - I reversed the upgraded Active EMGs and placed the CS at the Bridge and the DC at the Neck positions... it sounded *far* fuller, richer & less harsh, and I'm not sure why Spector continues to use dual DC Pickups in both positions of their Basses.

Even though I'm not much of an EMG fan as stated above, I do have 1 of my Euro Bolt-Ons equipped with a 40P5 and 40DC to emulate the '95-'08 Fender's American Deluxe Precision Basses with the P5 & Dual Coil 5 at the Bridge Position, which gave the traditional P-tone a bit more J-esque midrange. Which the P5 @ 100% and the DC @ 50-70% it does indeed fill up the mids but still sound like a Precision.