1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Pairing Tecamp combo with a Tecamp cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Deaky, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Deaky

Deaky

Hi all

I'm looking for some advice. I'm hoping to pair my Tecamp Puma 1x12 combo with a Tecamp 1x12 cab. I have had the combo for around 6 years.

So obviously the speaker on the combo is nice and worn in therefore will the overall sound from the combo and the cab be different pairing it with a brand new speaker albeit from the same brand?

A daft question but I'm just interested.

Thanks

Stuart

2. darrenmt

darrenmt

Should be fine since they are the same make and model. The extension cab may be less open till it is broken in but will still sound pretty similar to the combo. Shouldn't take long to break in the extension cab either with some play time at reasonable levels.

3. Deaky

Deaky

Thank you darrenmt.

4. KJung

KJung

For most drivers, 90%+ of break-in occurs within the first few hours of playing. So, no issue there.

I believe all new TecAmp cabs now have ceramic (non neo) drivers. That isn't a big deal, but my guess is, the tonality is probably a touch different. You should be OK though.

I assume your internal combo driver is 8ohm. Make sure to get a second 8ohm cab (some TecAmp cabs have a 4ohm or 8ohm option).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Is the tone of TecAmp more toward modern or vintage?

7. KJung

KJung

y
    They have many different models and voicings. Their 'primary' heads (the current Puma500/900) are clean and warm. They don't 'grind or growl' (although they will nicely translate any of that combing from the instrument).... very pure and punchy, without being overly hi fi. The closest tone to the current Puma's I've run across is the Markbass F1/F500. Very nice heads.

They make some more 'rock' oriented heads with overdrive capability also, but never played one of those.

8. Deaky

Deaky

Hi Kjung

Yes it's an 8ohm speaker I'm looking for. I believe that both the combo and the cab has ceramic driver.

9. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Thanks for the update. Not to derail the OP question but do you have any info on the TecAmp Puma 300? Seems perfect for me. Can't find much info.