Palatino EDB VS Palatino DB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by paradoxibis, Nov 30, 2012.

1. paradoxibis

paradoxibis

I'm looking to buy an upright, I'm an electric bass player but love the sound of a upright. I need advice though, I found a store selling Palatino basses, one is a Acoustic DB and the other electric, price is very similar but the EDB is a bit more expensive. I would do various music styles on it including jazz, folk and maybe some rockabilly. I also would probably want to gig with it in places a bit far from home, but I want the instrument with the best sound and playability. If anyone has played on these types of basses I would like to hear feedback. Any advice would be appreciated.

DB : SAPPSI-05VB

EDB: PPVE-500

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator

Do a search.

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

4. paradoxibis

paradoxibis

I did some research and see palatinos are pretty 'crap', I wish I could go to a store and play some uprights to see which one feels right.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    Why dont you fill out your information in your profile and tell us about yourself, and i bet we can find you a shop that can help you out.

7. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher

If you want to play the double bass you are going to have to begin by getting a decent instrument. A Palatino is not a good choice either electric or upright. Look for a Shen in your area, craigslist is a good place to start. I would prefer used, purchased from a real player or professional. That way the instrument has likely been properly adjusted and set up. Don't buy a Palatino and don't buy some other off brand either. Get a healthy Shen and a teacher.

8. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

...and for a laugh, go here. Pay particular attention to the very last line of the dialog. :D