1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Palatino EDB VS Palatino DB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by paradoxibis, Nov 30, 2012.

1. paradoxibis

paradoxibis

I'm looking to buy an upright, I'm an electric bass player but love the sound of a upright. I need advice though, I found a store selling Palatino basses, one is a Acoustic DB and the other electric, price is very similar but the EDB is a bit more expensive. I would do various music styles on it including jazz, folk and maybe some rockabilly. I also would probably want to gig with it in places a bit far from home, but I want the instrument with the best sound and playability. If anyone has played on these types of basses I would like to hear feedback. Any advice would be appreciated.

DB : SAPPSI-05VB

EDB: PPVE-500
  2. TroyK

TroyK Supporting Member

Do a search.
  3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

4. paradoxibis

paradoxibis

I did some research and see palatinos are pretty 'crap', I wish I could go to a store and play some uprights to see which one feels right.
  5. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    Why dont you fill out your information in your profile and tell us about yourself, and i bet we can find you a shop that can help you out.
  6. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher

If you want to play the double bass you are going to have to begin by getting a decent instrument. A Palatino is not a good choice either electric or upright. Look for a Shen in your area, craigslist is a good place to start. I would prefer used, purchased from a real player or professional. That way the instrument has likely been properly adjusted and set up. Don't buy a Palatino and don't buy some other off brand either. Get a healthy Shen and a teacher.
  7. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

...and for a laugh, go here. Pay particular attention to the very last line of the dialog. :D