Palmer Automat envelope filter + distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Creatinsanivity, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Creatinsanivity

Creatinsanivity

2. Creatinsanivity

Creatinsanivity

I thought there would be someone interested in commenting on this... Then I may have to bite the bullet and buy one myself, or maybe Santa will help :ninja:
  3. miiitch

miiitch

try it if it sounds any good to you ... build quality is great with palmer pedals (got a PEOD)
  4. Creatinsanivity

Creatinsanivity

Well, not the kind of an answer I was hoping, but thanks anyway...
    We'll see, maybe I really get one, it seems interesting enough and the sound ain't too bad on guitar. I was just hoping someone might have tested one, or a envelope filter with same kind of voicing on guitar. But yeah, I think I'll buy one and maybe write a review here so you'll all know how it is!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    That metal shroud to "protect" the input jacks is extremely misguided. Makes it hard to use on a pedal board.
  7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'd be glad if you did that for us! The problem is that those Palmer pedals seem to only be available in Europe, so only a smaller population of TB'ers has access to them.
  8. caeman

caeman The Root Master Supporting Member

The huge flange on the back means you cannot 90-degree connectors. That is an interesting design...decision.
  9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I don't understand that part on the back are those holes there so you can screw it to your board? if that's the case they could have made it so you could screw a bracket to your board and have the pedal slide in and snap into place so you could use 90-degree connectors?
  10. caeman

[​IMG]

It is definitely a distinctive design, but...
  11. miiitch

miiitch

90°-jacks do fit, gotta lay them on top of it ... you can "move" the actual pedal inside the metal casket thing within 10 minutes of work though:

[​IMG]

the screw holes on the bottom were already drilled into the metal plate.

downside: you have to remove the battery case.
  12. caeman

Okay, nifty.
  13. Creatinsanivity

Creatinsanivity

Oh, hadn't really thought about that... Btw, love the way you use word population about us ;)
  14. Creatinsanivity

Creatinsanivity

Well, I've had this thing for a week now and I kind of like it... First I tried it with an ukulele through an extremely crappy amp (please, don't ask why...) and was very dissapointed of how it sounded, it just added some noise and ugly distortion. Then I tried it with my 4-stringer through a real amp and it sounded actually quite nice and funky. After playing with it for a while, I finally took my 5-string fretless and my ears were pleased with distortiony filtering.
    The filter itself is quite subtle, no instant funk found here, but with the distortion circuit on it, it's quite nice effect, just not extremely funky even then. The distortion is just distortiony, not fizzy or fuzzy or in any way subtle or gritty, just distortiony, and it's quite pleasing, especially when blended with clean signal. The blend knob adds bottom end nicely.
    I like this thing a lot with my BSY600, the pedal I have overlooked for long. Smooth synthness is found especially when using it's octaved sawtooth, allthough i think I'd like it even more with an octaver that has better tracking... I'll buy myself Octave Multiplexer when I have money, and maybe a flanger, it would sound nice with this thing.
    Next week I'll try this in band setting, I'll let you know how it behaves!
  15. Jens Busck

Jens Busck

I have a Palmer Flanger, which is pretty good for bass. It has a well-working blend, zero volume boost and does subtle flange nicely. It can't do any fast chorusing though. The downside is the weight and size. It doesn't matter to me, since I hardly ever use the pedal, but I think it would take up way too much space on a board.