Pandora starting to 'age' what should I replace it with?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rogerb, Dec 26, 2012.

1. rogerb

rogerb

My Pandora PX4B is great, but it is made of plastic, and the input jack is starting to make noises. I get great sounds in my bass through the Pandora with the amp modelling, I don't want to lose that.

I want to replace it with some pedals. I was thinking of the sfx H1 headphone amp and the red dragon, or maybe a Sansamp Para driver and the headphone amp.

I am a bit worried I'll need EQ hence the Sansamp, the bypass of the Pandora sounds like crap on my passive Fender Jazz bass. Does my bass on it's own really sound that lousy (no low end to speak of)? So would the sfx red dragon overdrive sound good just by itself without any EQ?

2. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

Spotify </rimshot>

3. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Boy, I don't know. Maybe you should decide which sounds you like and get pedals to produce them, instead of trying to replace an item with 100 sounds in it. What sounds do you find you use the most?

4. Swift713

Swift713

Which amp models do you like?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Inconnu

Inconnu

Yup, it all depends on what sounds you like from your Pandora.I used to have one (PX3B) and replaced it with a SansAmp RBI, because I've been using an SVT forever and I really liked that type of sound (all tube amp emulator) from my Pandora... So I guess that if you like tube style sounds out of your Pandora, you'd like a SansAmp now, but if you like a more modern sound, you might want to check out other gear like, maybe say... the Eden DI for example???

7. rogerb

rogerb

Well, I use mostly a modification of the bonehead preset. That is goldpnl and combi. I have others that use valve and combi. Nothing too spectacular here, just a bit of overdrive and some EQ. I change my pickup volumes or tone, or right hand position before I start reaching for the Pandora controls.

There is a EBS microbass demo that I like, unfortunately the mp3 input is mono. I will wait to hear the new darkglass vintage and mxr OD pedals, looks like next month.

Hopefully some video's will appear!

8. rogerb

rogerb

OK, that Eden DI another option, on the list, but after the sansamp and others. James brown to RHCP to jazz standards. I guess this becomes a bit of a quest, could get expensive!

9. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

You could try a little switch cleaner in the jack socket, that would be a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new device... unless of course you just want an excuse to buy a new toy ;)

10. rogerb

rogerb

It looks like it may be that the jack is a little bent from use, the tab I mean, I may try to just bend that back somehow, I don't really want to open it up. I'll find some cleaner and try that though.

I want knobs to fool with! No more LCD menu's!

11. rogerb

rogerb

I cleaned the contacts, q-tip and isopropanol.

Looking closer the jack loses contact at the base, not the tip. The pandora has contact near the casing and that is a bit low, the other headphone output is higher and makes better contact. I usually don't notice it as the weight of a jack makes make contact.

I put some tinfoil around a jack and the tighter fit made contact and eliminated the problem, but I need something better than that. I'll think about trying to bend that up.... ever so slightly :)

12. rogerb

rogerb

I fixed the input jack by bending that input jack tab near the casing in my Pandora PX4B up by a hair with flat precision screwdriver, just touched it really. Pandora resuscitated.

That should buy me some more time to choose new toys. New OD pedals coming out it seems.

Thanks to all for the replies so far!

13. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I'm gonna throw this out there.

If you have an iPhone/iPad, get Jamup XT or XT Pro. It's a great sounding amp/pedal sim, and you can buy new pedals for $3! They also have a bass expansion pack available in-app that has some awesome stuff.

I'm not affiliated, just a very active user.

14. rogerb

rogerb

Went with this to replace it in the end.

Built my own little board here. Sonic Research tuner, sfx red dragon micro, sfx H1 micro, 1 dc connect out to a Sanyo pedal juice for now. Took me forever as usual.

Would have liked to try the Sansamp but maybe later. As far as I can tell this pedal quest just goes on and on and on...

Attached Files: