1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Paolo Gregoletto: An Overview

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Hamlet7768, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

There have been a few threads about this guy, but the last one is pretty old, and rather than try and resurrect that one I figured might as well start a new one. And cram all I know into it.

Anyway, Paolo Gregoletto is the bassist for metal band Trivium. The band itself is notable for shifting between thrash metal and metalcore almost with every album and generally pissing off their fans that want more of whatever the last album was.

Paolo's technique as a bassist has changed since his debut on Trivum's second album, Ascendancy. On that album he used a pick, and honestly he was nothing special, though the album is a gem if you like metalcore. Listen here to the first track from the album, where you can kind of hear the bass at a few parts (He got mixed pretty low, too).

Trivium then changed up their sound for The Crusade, which was much like Metallica, but a bit more aggressive. Paolo switched from a pick to fingers around this time, and here's where he takes off as a player. The bass gets mixed much higher in this album, and he even gets a few bass solos, like on Becoming the Dragon (3:45), my personal favorite track off the album. Also, the sound of his bass during the breakdown (1:22) is fantastic. The title track, an instrumental and the final track off the album, is also a great place to hear Paolo do some melodic runs (1:20).

Trivium then took the technicality to a new level on Shogun. They also brought back some, but not all, of the metalcore elements from Ascendancy. Paolo's not as easy to hear on this album thanks to the near-ubiquitous seven-string guitars taking up significant sonic space, but he does get a nice solo in Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis (4:15 and 5:06), and generally he's there other times. Just not as audible as before. EDIT: Should note that despite this, the album is excellent, and frequently considered Trivium's best, when it's not Ascendancy.

The band's next effort, In Waves (or more properly, IIIN WAAAAAAAAAAAVES), toned the technicality down, took out the seven-string guitars in favor of drop-C# tuning (compare to standard on the last two and drop-D on Ascendancy), and brought screaming back as a main vocal technique, while mixing it with clean vocals. The title track best demonstrates this mix, and also the album's shortfall. The production is a bit brittle, especially compared to the meatiness of Shogun. Consequently Paolo's bass sound suffers a bit for it, but it's still there supporting. Despite the other throwback-to-Ascendancy aspects of this record, he kept using his fingers.

Vengeance Falls is the latest album from Trivium, and is more in line with The Crusade. David Draiman produced this album, and in my opinion the album is stronger for it, particularly vocally. Incineration: The Broken World is Paolo's standout track on this album, where he mostly plays a supporting role. Check out the bass solo at 3:26!

Anyway, that's my spiel on Paolo's evolution as a bassist. He's the only metal bassist I know to switch from pick to fingers, and by far one of the best bassists in the metalcore/modern metal camp.

Oh, gear! He uses BC Rich basses, all 5-strings since The Crusade, Kustom amps, Boss ODB-3 overdrive, and the Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah. Not too complicated, really. Don't know his strings.