Parallel Distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by xanquist, Jan 7, 2014.

1. xanquist

xanquist

Hey guys, kinda new to forums, been reading for a while but this is my first time posting. Anyway, I just ordered an Eden Navigator and was wondering the best way to rig up a parallel distortion effect, preferably rack mount.

Right now I'm using a Peavey Alpha preamp through a Crown XLS1500 and a Peavey Tour 810. I have a Digitech BP355 in the effects loop. I have the Preamp set pretty clean with as smooth a low end as I could dial.

The Digitech is pretty much my tuner, compressor, and occasionally I use the spark overdrive which lets me dial in how much clean and distortion I want separately. (I'm running clean at 40 and distortion at 60) I like how it sounds but would prefer to not have to set up an entire multi-effects processor on stage that I use so little of. Besides the Eden has a compressor, and I don't really like the digitech tuner too much anyway.

Any advice? Thanks.

PS: In case you were wondering. I play a 5 string Phillips Bulldog with Bartolini Quads and an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp, and I'm in a metal band called Anguish of Atrophy, although I tend to prefer Jazz tones.

2. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

I do Parallel Distortion ... I use a Badger Schism to do the Parallel blend .... you will need some sort of blender.

Wouldn't that Digitech BP355 sound better plugged into the front of the preamp?

3. newbold

newbold

clean blends will give you mega texture.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are many pedal options, but I can't think of any rackmount distortions that include blend... Unless you go for an overkill rack multifx unit.

I'd just get a pedal for this job.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jensby design

Jensby design

At one point I was working a 3-way x-over overdrive/distortion pedal but I realized I only wanted my mid-range effected.
    But hell I change my mind about my tone every week :rolleyes: tone diva

7. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

The only parallel distortion I can think of is the venerable Pearce units. But these are scarce, and quite expensive if you find one for sale.

If you think a pedal will suffice, you might want to check out the EBS Billy Sheehan signature drive/dist pedal. Completely separate clean and dirty channels, and an insert type fx loops in each channel. It has compression built in too.

If you wanted to keep the pedal in the rack, you could use a long insert cable and a passive ABY box to switch the distortion channel in out out from the front of the stage. Add a rack tuner and you're done.

8. xanquist

xanquist

I guess it might sound better in front, at the time it just kind of made sense to put it in the loops cause of where the tube stages were. It honestly doesn't have too much headroom so having a low level tube buffer before it, and then re-boosting with the graphic eq actually works pretty well.

Does anyone know of anyway to just run the navigators loop in parallel? I know markbass does that a lot in their stuff. I might be able to figure out a way to use my alpha as a drive effect if I eq it different, it does get kinda gainy if you crank it.

9. xanquist

xanquist

Haha never mind I'm dumb, the navigator totally has a parallel effects loop, I can put anything in there that I want.