parallel inputs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by WholeGrainBass, Jan 10, 2013.

1. WholeGrainBass

WholeGrainBass

My professors always told us there are never any dumb questions...well here goes:

Speaker cabinet: Peavey Headliner 410 two parallel inputs and a speakon

Amp: Hartke LH500

I have them hooked up via speakon to 1/4" input jack cable

i tried hooking up from one of the parallel inputs to the input of the amp but it did not work.

I am looking at getting a Hartke 15" (VX115) and it only has the parallel input jacks....how would I set this up to run both the 410 and the 115?

2. mcnach

mcnach

Connect one cab from the amp's "speaker out" to one of the cab's sockets.
    Then, connect the other speaker socket to the second cab.

3. WholeGrainBass

WholeGrainBass

hmmm, did not realize it be that simple
    i feel dumb but at least i know now

4. mcnach

mcnach

Don't feel dumb. There is a first time for everything.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. WholeGrainBass

WholeGrainBass

would it be smart to hook the amp to the 410 and then into the external speaker input of a combo amp (the amp in the combo is not on, not even plugged in) but i have used the external speaker from it before and it'll work without it being on

i have a feeling thats common knowledge

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

NO!! it's not a speaker INput, it's a speaker OUTput. You'll seriously hurt your gear. May I suggest the FAQ's?

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

+1 And, while your at it, look for the many reasons against mixing a 4x10 and a 1x15.

9. WholeGrainBass

WholeGrainBass

would a 1x12 be a better alternative? or should i stick with adding another 4x10?

10. JHAz

JHAz

no a 112 isn't better. To start wiht, if you're adding speakers to get louder, and by louder you mean louder than you can get with the speakers and/or amp on the brink of distortion, not just "look! it's louder at 1/4 volume" and all things being equal, 115 is about equal to 210 in surface area and output. So when you use a 115 with a 410, when you get the 115 to its distortion point, you still have headroom left in the 410. Enough headroom, theoretically, that you could unplug the 115, turn up and let the 410 be as loud as the 115 and 410 together. A 112 would only make it worse.

But it's really worse than that anyway, because the 115, being 8 ohms, gets exactly as much power as the 410, which is also 8 ohms. That means each 10 inch speaker is getting 1/4 as much power as the 15, which means that while the 10s are still loafing, the 15 is at risk of, at best, sounding ugly or, at worst, failing.

All things being equal-ish, and taking the power distribution issues into account, it should (in theory) be possible to be around 3 dB louder with a 410 than with a 410 plus 115, simply because of how much you have to underutilize the 10s to avoid blowing the 15.

11. WholeGrainBass

WholeGrainBass

thank you very much for that explanation. that really helps out a lot.

12. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

And do pay attention to " output" and "input". It really helps one understand signal flow. Signal goes from an output to an input. So, the Jack on your bass is an OUTput. It connects to the input on your amp. The amp's speaker outputs connect to the inputs on your speaker cabs.

John

13. WholeGrainBass

WholeGrainBass

with what JHAz said, how is it some players have a 410 and another cab like a 212 or 115 connected with it to work?

14. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Nobody has ever said that mixing driver sizes won't work.

It just becomes a limiting factor.

For example:

You had posted about adding either a 1X15 or a 1X12 to your 4X10.

If both cabs are 8 ohm, each cab gets 1/2 the power from your amp.

In a single driver cab (1X15, 1X12, etc.) that one speaker is getting half your power. When that single speaker cab is at it's limits, your 4X10 will still have more to give. If you try to turn up louder, you usually end up blowing the single speaker cab.

Now, on top of that, mixed speaker sizes can have issues with phasing which causes some areas of the room you are playing in to have too much bass in some areas, and other areas no bass (even though it sounds great to you in front of the rig).

15. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

Please please please don't add a 15 to that rig. It won't do what you think it will. I promise. Get another 410 if you want another cab.

16. WholeGrainBass

WholeGrainBass

alright i think i am beginning to understand this a lot better
    i had a talk with this bass instructor earlier today who explained a lot about it

but one question i just thought of is with a 500 watt head attached to 300 watt 210 cab would that mean it will only allow 300 out of 500 watts to be delivered to that cab? so that way if it is paired with a 410 it gets a certain amount of power for better delivery?
    or is that just incorrect....

I'm trying to figure this out so i dont end up getting something and then breaking it

I'm used to combos if that explains anything

17. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

You go by the cabs impedance only. The wattage rating has nothing to do with it. Two 8Ω cabs will be an even 250 watts each.