1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Paramore in Oz.

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by TheControlled, Jan 9, 2014.

1. TheControlled

TheControlled

Justin, the wife and I just had the pleasure of catching Paramore's Self-titled tour show here in Brisbane. Impressive! They have come ahead in leaps and bounds since their last headlining tour here for Brand New Eyes.

As I've mentioned before, I'm a big Cavallo fan and that was a good tour - but you've taken them to the absolute next level.

Most notably, your obvious influence with the addition of keyboard and synth sounds has REALLY opened up a new platform for the atmosphere and light show. Combine that with the perfect timing for the development and use of new light technologies and the result is pretty mind blowing. The opening sequence with the synth tones in "Grow up" sounded HUUUGE through a big FOH, and that particular room always sounds fantastic. I'm certain there were myriads of kids there who were attending their first concert (judging by the usual deafening adolescent screams) and I'm sure that sound will stay with them forever!

Jeremy's bass tone - WOW. There is no doubt that your ability to push his exploration of new sounds is very obvious. Every other time they've been here, the bass has been dull and tones almost like an afterthought. The Gibsons sound great and seem to have given him a new confidence to push his sound and playing to the front. The distortions and dirtys are killer, and once again add a whole new dimension to the overall package. I like that each song and sound has it's own bass identity now, unlike in the past. I also dig that he whips out the Epi JC for a few tunes - I bet he never would have imagined that until he met you.

The overall energy of the band and crew, combined with Hayley's very positive statements in between songs and during crowd engagement certainly tell me that they are in a very happy place right now. They exude positive energy and are obviously genuinely stoked to be taking the new songs, style and persona to the world. There is no doubt that this is something to be very proud of. Well done.
  2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Thank you so much for the report!

I'm so glad to hear your perspective, and I must agree with everything you wrote above about how they've come ahead in all areas. In whatever ways I was able to help, I was very happy to do so.

Jeremy's development has been very heartening to see, and was a mission of mine (and definitely his, more importantly) from very early on in my relationship with the band.

Glad to hear the intro sounded awesome, I'm really proud of that moment. :)

Thanks again!
    Justin