1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Passive Barts with BTC ground problem?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lifer_, Oct 25, 2013.

1. lifer_

lifer_

There is something wrong in my chain or the power source. I have two basses - one with EMG active pickups, BTS control and other one with p/j hum canceling Barts and again BTC. At home I play with small cab or zoom 505 with headphones true my pedal board.

My all active bass is dead quiet, but this one with the passive Barts has a significant hum. When I touch some metal part the hum is gone (the BTC diagram says not to be connected to the bridge). I checked everything in the control cavity, even connected one by one the pups to the jack and the problem was still there. It wasn't the BTC. There was something in the passive part.

The hum is very loud when my Hartke VXL is on, so I powered it with battery (just the preamp with cable from the bass on one side and the headphones on the other) and there was no hum at all!! I repeated this test with the Zoom and the result was the same. Now I am almost certain that there is some problem with these passive pickups and the electricity in the house (40 years old with no proper grounding). I can't check the issue in our reheаrsal room in the next 10 days and this problem freaking me out. :bawl:

I'm wondering why this is happening with this bass that has EMG BTC and it's not ground connected? Is it normal and how can I fix this and to be sure that it will not happen in some venue? If it's a problem with the house it's not a big deal, but just want to know what I'm dealing with...

Thanks in advance :help:
  2. Sollie7

Sollie7

1 are they single coils?
    2 Is the bass shielded?
    3 id go ahead and ground to the bridge and cavities if its shielded
  3. lifer_

lifer_

Thank you, Sollie7

1.They are hum cancelling: a P and split coil J

2 and 3. The bass is not shielded ( I'm already waiting a copper foil to come). But knowing these Barts to be hum canceling I'm wonder why they're not. I think that the problem is somewhere else and need an advice where to look for.
  4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I think all passive pickups still need to be grounded.
  5. lifer_

lifer_

Maybe you're right, DWBass, but everywhere in TB I read that other player does not have problems with Barts....I am really confused...
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
  7. lifer_

lifer_

The pups have one shielded wire, I soldered them one by one and then two of them straight to the jack. It didn't helped, not so loud because of the EMG high tone control missing, but still there. That's way I thinking of some sort of problem in the electricity that don't work well with the pickups. May be the ground missing, but using a power supply that don't have a third wire and headphones instead of not grounded amp( I also thought of that ), could not be a problem. Or it can?
  8. lifer_

lifer_

It could be just my house wiring not being to good for passive pickups :). I've tried another passive P/J bass (but with J not split coil) - hum again.

I use 500k and 250k pots, following exactly the EMG diagram...

Before I start the shielding job I'll try it in a different place, hope it's the house (I'm switching off everything in the room, comp, lights, tv....but can't be sure that there isn't something else...
  9. Sollie7

Sollie7

Yeah jus needs to be shielded and grounded to the bridge and cavities an people dont have a problem with barts because they ground them :D
  10. lifer_

lifer_

Nice, I'll do it then :) Thanks
  11. lifer_

lifer_