Passive bass direct into amp vs via effects 'help'

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sifi2112, Mar 15, 2014.

1. sifi2112

sifi2112

Hope someone can shed some light on this ....

I just bought two pedals & thought my bypassed tone sounded a little 'dull' so A/B'd them in a chain, then individually, then instrument lead straight into the amp ....

Straight into amp was not only more 'alive' but also louder :(

Really frustrated by this .. so here's my (mini) chain -

- bass with Nordstrand Big Singles & active Artec EXP but this was bypassed & even tested with 9v battery taken out as bass still works in 'passive' mode

effects

- Darkglass B3K
    - 3Leaf Enabler

- powered by 1-Spot

(also tested with a mate's Boss CEB-3 to the same effect whether powered by battery or 1-Spot)

please help before I pull what hair I have out lol ! :(

2moro I'm gonna try all these tests again with my (passive) guitar just to see if it's the same .... tbc
  2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You'll have to check if the CEB has a buffered bypass. All I can think of is you might have too much cable in total between the bass and the amp. But any buffering pedal would cure that.
  3. abemo

abemo

If your amp has an effects loop, I would recommend using that rather than placing the effect between the bass and amp. If not, keep in mind that there is some signal loss every time you add in another connection, try adding a compressor or preamp as the last piece of the train before the amp, as these will help reboost the signal.
  4. alec

alec

Have you tried different cables?
  5. JensCambre

JensCambre

I always plug my bass straight into my amp, for the same reason. My pedalboard is plugged into the effects loop of my amp. This gives a sound that is more alive and just alround better... if your amp doesnt give you the option to plug into a effectsloop, i also suggest a compressor, preamp,... something to boost your signal.
  6. sifi2112

sifi2112

Tried a couple of different cables to no avail but I'll dig out my 'gigging' cable which is a zaolla artist & use it with a short one, see if that makes a difference.
  7. sifi2112

sifi2112

Found it :) ! Bad connection on one of the jacks ... thanks for replies guys.