Passive electronics: Mid cut

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pandathe3, Jul 10, 2009.

1. pandathe3

pandathe3

So we all know that we can only cut frequencies with a passive electronic system. Our tone knob rolls off treble.

What capacitor would i use too roll off mid frequencies? Or maybe build a switch that will cut certain mids? Maybe making my own 'Slap switch'.

Cheers

2. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

3. megadan

megadan

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    You need a capacitor and an inductor. This is commonly known as a Varitone control. They usualy have 5 different value caps and a bypass position on a rotary switch, but Gibson included a single knob midrange cut control on the Ripper bass.

If you want to try it, the easiest thing is to go to Radio Shack and pick up the audio output transformer they sell (Model: EI-19, Catalog #: 273-1380). You want to use the 1K Primary as an inductor. Then try using that with a .1 cap. The inductor would go between the cap and ground, wired like a standard tone control.

Smaller cap values will raise the notch frequency, and larger values will lower it.

You can also use a transformer model TL021-R that you can find at Mouser Electronics. Torres sells a Varitone kit that uses that same part.

Here's the Ripper schematic.

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

The villex system has this, I didn't really like the way it sounded. The mid control took some highs along with it so it wasn't useful for getting any kind of sharp mid scooped sound.

7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    The Villex version is actually part of the pickup.

I used to use the inductor types and it works real well with bright bass tones. I didn't have an issue with high end loss.

It's a cheap thing to try out though.

Passive controls like this are never the same tone as an active system though.

8. 3506string

3506string

9. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

There's a user on here that goes by has-sound, his name is Stan Hinesley. He used to sell something exactly like what you're looking for, though I'm not sure if he still does. Hit him up with a PM, maybe he can give you a pointer or two on how he did it.

10. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    http://www.stanhinesleypickups.com/passive_controls.htm

First item on the list.

11. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Yeah, that one. I bought one for my Warwick back when I still had a Warwick and enjoyed it immensely. I don't have the bass anymore though so I can't take a look at it for the OP, and I don't think Stan would appreciate me trying to reverse engineer his work anyway. :D

12. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Yeah, Stan's a good guy.

I already explained how to make one. ;)

13. Suhr

Suhr

We make the inductors you can use for this. They can be used as a bass control or midrange when used with a cap. It is hard to find the correct pleasing values unless you make them yourself.

14. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    I just want to point out that you can, and do, get slight boosts with passive tone controls. The passive treble cut does boost the low end slightly when you have it all the way off. Villex has some passive boost systems as well. It's not a lot of boost though, but it works by making a resonant peak in the frequency response.

The problem with making a regular passive tone stack, like from an amp, is that there is insertion loss, so you loose signal through the entire circuit. These types of circuits have an active stage to boost the level back up.

15. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Going by basic filter logic, I assume this is due to the filter being first-order. (first-order Bessel, right?) Could better tone control be gained (no pun intented) by creating, say, a second-order or third-order filter?

16. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

Villex offers up to 12dB passive boost through his PRTB line of products (Passive Rotary Tone Booster)

17. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    12dB? Wow!

I heard some clips of one of the systems, and it didn't sound that large.

18. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

When the first version came out it was 3, 5 and 7 db

I asked for more (I am a sucker for more power) and I am very demanding and Mr Villex came with the new version that provides 6, 9 and 12dB!!!

I call them PRTB I and PRTB II respectively (I think that Mr Villex will follow the same nomenclature)

19. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

How does he get 12db of boost with a passive circuit?

He should by a ticket to Stockholm.

20. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

I have no idea but it is true

21. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

If you have no idea, how do you know it's true?

Sorry, I am just a little confused.