Passive, external Zoom B3 control bar

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by enjoi1018, Apr 9, 2014.

1. enjoi1018

enjoi1018 Supporting Member

I hope this is in the right place.

I have a Zoom B3 that I would like to mod like TB's own andreas flf describes in the following pics.

Instead of three stomps and a 1/4" jack for connecting a tap tempo, I want all four buttons on the stomp bar itself (from left to right: patch down, patch up, rhythm start/stop, tap). There's one additional catch.... I also would like a 1/4" jack connected to the tap stomp that will allow me to send the tap to my Digitech Stereo Jamman, for tap synchronization. Does that make sense?

I know that the Digitech has a specific signal it must accept in it's footswitch jack for it to register that it is the "tap" signal. In the Digitech FS3X footswitch, tap is controlled by the "up" switch in the following .jpg.

http://branchonmaybe.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/fs3x-wiring.jpg

Is there anyone out there who would be willing to build this for me or point me towards someone that will? I don't know any local electricians that would help with this mod.

I'm pretty sure it's able to work, I just need some help figuring it out. I think I could just wire the same as andreas but with the tap side having a switch that connects the right leads and also sends a signal to a jack that has the proper diodes. I'm pretty new to all of this stuff!

As always, thank you guys so much!

Attached Files:

2. Woodsbass

Woodsbass

Hey man, in trying to find an answer to your question I came across this. With a few hours it seems like it could be an easy "hack" to do, and it is fully reversible as long as your back up your original files. Maybe you could try this for the Jamman issue.
  3. enjoi1018

Woodsbass, not sure what you're referring to.
  4. Woodsbass

Woodsbass

5. enjoi1018

That is some pretty intriguing stuff! I don't think it'll accomplish exactly what I want, but I'm gonna think about that.

Basically, I think I need the "up" switch wiring and diodes from the above schematic wired to the tap switch in the Zoom B3 bar.
  6. Woodsbass

Woodsbass

I'd try to help ya (Electronics Engineering Tech. here) but I can't access the file. It says it is on a Mac server, and of course I don't own anything Apple. Any chance you can re-upload the PDF to a different hosting site?
  7. domdec314

domdec314 Supporting Member

You don't need a Mac to access Mac server. It's just a bad link.
  8. enjoi1018

you're right, the links bad. I'll upload it correctly when I get home.
  9. enjoi1018

Files and pictures fixed! With all of this being passive, I'm pretty sure combining the "Up" switch and diodes to the tap jack (which will now be another momentary switch) in the first pic will work.

Lookin' forward to your input, Woods!
  10. Woodsbass

Woodsbass

Alright, without owning the pedal and being able to open it up and check, I don't think one tap button will be able to work for both functions. For the Zoom B3, the purpose of the button is to simply short the leads together, and each of the buttons in that schematic have their own leads and probably lead back to their own pin on a chip.

In the Jamman, all three buttons share two leads, and all have different configurations. The record button is connected to the tip of the jack, the loop down is connected to the ring of the jack and the tap/loop up button is connected to both, running through diodes. This to me would indicate that the leads are going back to 2 pins on a chip, and the programming of the chip is dictating the funcion based on logic levels.

So, to put it in a easier to understand way lets assume that each of those leads has a voltage on it. Lets say it's 5V DC.

When the record button is pressed, the 5V on the tip is shorted to ground while the 5V on the ring stays constant telling the chip to record. When the loop down button is pressed, the 5V on the ring is shorted to ground while the 5V on the tip stays constant, telling the chip to go down a loop. When the tap/loop up button is pressed, both leads are shorted to ground, but through diodes meaning that 0.7V stays constant on both lines ,telling the chip to perform the needed function.

If you put all these voltages on the B3, it's hard to say what it'll do but I doubt it'll do much good.

I would sugges building a box with FOUR switches instead of 3. Make 2 loop buttons, and then 2 tap buttons. Put the tap buttons VERY close together (close enough to tap them simultaneously). One tap button for B3, one for Jamman.
  11. enjoi1018

Awesome. That's not that big of deal at all. Just wire them completely separately.

Another question... would there be any way to limit the voltage change going to the B3? For instance, putting diodes that prevent current from reaching the unit?
  12. Woodsbass

Woodsbass

Alright, I'm going to have to think before I write again.

I don't know why I said you would need two footswitches, I guess I forgot that you would probably be using 3PDT footswitches (the standard pedal switch). You can connect more than one circuit up to one of those footswitches. You could do the 2 leads for the Jamman on one side, and the 2 leads for the B3 on the other side.

JT
  13. enjoi1018

Well........

I really wanna use the normally open, soft touch switches. Especially for tap. I'd almost rather use two soft touches. I hate those clicks when trying to sync a tap.
  14. Woodsbass

Woodsbass

http://www.mammothelectronics.com/4SFS3PDT-MS-I-p/800-1007.htm

This is a momentary switch, they are available in the 3PDT format as seen here! This would be the perfect switch for that application. The others type is the latching 3PDT switches!
  15. enjoi1018

Awesome! do these click though? Or are they a smooth throw/slide when pushed?

REALLY appreciate the help!
  16. Woodsbass

Woodsbass

No problem! No, these do not click. They're momentary, the ones that click are the latching type I mentioned earlier. These just push down then pop right back up as you lift your foot.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask away! If I take forever to answer you on here just send me a PM, I'll give you hand. If you want help doing the mod yourself I can give you some advice as well!

JT
  17. dkelley

dkelley

There are momentary switches that click just before fully pressed to give a satisfying feel of "it's engaged" in the foot .... they click on the way up also to indicate disengagement....maybe what the other person was asking about.

Ive used them dont know more than that they exist and could be an option.