Passive Fender PJ Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barandascaio, Dec 2, 2012.

1. barandascaio

barandascaio

Hey guys, i'm from Brazil and i'm going to spend a week in nyc in 2013 january. I have a Fender P-Bass MiM and I'm looking for a Fender PJ Bass, like the Deluxe Active P Bass. But I like the passive sound in P-Bass. Does Fender , or any other brand, have a good Passive PJ Bass?

P.S.: I like P-bass neck and body.
    P.S. 2: I have 800 dollars.

Thanks for helping me. Caio, from Brazil.
  2. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

Fender did the California Special P which was awesome. Keep an eye out for those used - they're a phenomenal deal.
  3. barandascaio

barandascaio

Thanks, I'll look for one. What do you think about Duff Mckagan's signature? My band plays a lot of hard rock. I can find an used one easier than calfiornia's, don't you think?
  4. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

I have about five of the Squier PJ basses that I bought used. I didn't pay more than $125 for any one of them. They sound great! With what you have, I would find one of them and put your P bass neck on it. If you want you could put in better replacement pickups. I just put a Fender Jazz neck on a Vintage Modified Squier body and it's unbelievable.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Have a jazz pickup routed into your P bass or another P bass if you want to keep yours in standard configuration. My tech only charged $35 for the route plus another $35 to install and wire up the pickup and a 3-way switch.
  7. jlepre

jlepre

Fender Hot Rod last produced 2001. Look for one of these used. I had one, but only reason I sold it was because I just couldn't get used to playing 4 string anymore.
    [​IMG]
  8. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Lindsey Basses - crafter of XBass cables
    ... Always dug the Hot Rod :bassist:
  9. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

That's right, barandascaio! So pick up a used J bridge pickup for $30. I mean, how many basses can you play at one time, anyway? And if you can't figure out how to enjoy $700 in NYC . . . well, by all means buy a spare bass. Just in case the one you already have desolders itself while you're not looking. ;)
  10. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Fender Jazz Bass Special. 1980's production, awesome basses. Yamaha BB series p/j's are also good for the money
  11. barandascaio

barandascaio

Do you know any place in NYC where I can find it? Any shop that might have
  12. barandascaio

barandascaio

Thanks for helping me guys! brazilian bass forum sucks! lol
  13. jlepre

jlepre

Honestly you will have to watch the classifieds and hope to find one.
  14. NOVAX

NOVAX

Aerodyne Jazz might get you there
  15. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Some Tim Maia will sound good on a pj .
    Oh oh oh que beleza !
  16. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

Funny, one was just sold on Ebay today, looks just like that one.

I picked up a late 90's Deluxe Series P-bass Special for about $300 a couple weeks ago. These can be easily had for that amount used. They are the passive version of the Deluxe Active P. Same thing.

I don't believe they make those specifically anymore so you'd have to comb the used market. I'm sure there are some large used guitar stores in NYC.
  17. GK Growl

GK Growl

I totally agree with you audioglenn. I own (2) of the Squier Precision Bass Specials and I love them both, and they both have the stock pickups and I think they work really well. Better than my MIM P and better than my old American Standard Jazz. I paid $99 for one and $115 for the other. I have GAS for a Sherwood green and Shoreline gold one but I haven't had any luck.
  18. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

Thanks, GK Growl! I'm glad to hear that you have the same impression of the Squier PJ basses. I've got a couple of red ones, a black, red sunburst, and standard sunburst. I had to spend a little bit of time setting them up, but that goes with any bass.
  19. GK Growl

GK Growl

I've got a red and a standard sunburst one. I just found a shoreline gold one online for $149....dammit! Choices, choices.

I spent a little time setting mine up too and that's when they really came to life. I had to put new foam under the pickups on the red one and they both had way too much relief when I got them.
  20. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

look up a schecter model T
  21. johnnynitro

johnnynitro

I have a jp90 For sale ! You can google them Not quiet the p bass look ! But Ive seen more then a few @ a good price !