Passive Jazz pups: EMG JHZ versus Bartolini 9J1

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jan 16, 2014.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

I am looking to switch things up a bit with my Stambaugh J and want to replace my DiMarzio Model J's with either the Bartolini 9J1 or EMG JHZ pickups. I am looking for a clear, even tone, with string to string evenness and zero buzz.

Thoughts on how these two compare to each other?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Well keep in mind that EMG's are active pickups, so if you don't already have a battery setup installed in your bass you'll need that for EMG's.

If you do already have an active setup, you'll more than likely need to replace whatever it is you have with something that will work with EMG's. Depending on your preamp, you may only need to change the volume pots.

Sound wise..I'd go with Barts but only if you have a preamp since they are lower output.

My final answer would be to get DiMarzio Area J's :)

3. mmbongo

Nevermind, read that you are looking at the passive EMG's..which are not good.

You'll get noise with either the EMG's or those Barts since they are not hum cancelling.

I'll stick with Area J's. Single coil sound, zero noise, and you can wire them in series or parallel depending on the sound you want. Or like me, you can mix them.

4. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

I also would stick with what you have, but if you gotta switch it up out of the two options you provided I'd go with the Barts. The only way I'd recommend the EMGs is if you KNOW you love the sound of EMG's, because once you put them in, your bass isn't sounding like much else...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Bart 9J1 are passive hum canceling not single coils.
    They are warm, a little dark but have great low mid punch.
    I like them. Waaaay different than EMG's.

9J1 - pair S/L split coil construction for hum canceling -deep tone - strong lows and low-mids per Bart web site.

7. mmbongo

Cool, they've got so many I get them confused. These are low output though, definitely need a preamp.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

Just to note that my bass is naturally VERY warm tonally. Rosewood top, mahagony body, rosewood fretboard... and my strings are 7 year old Chromes.

And before you rule out the EMG JHZ pups check out this tone...

9. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Check out the Michael Rhodes youtube playing in Nashville with a trio with a guitarist named Trapp, that's his last name. Anyway Rhodes has a jazz with EMG's. Very interesting tone. Flats I think.