1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Passive or Active Di for my situation.

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by whatisacup, Dec 23, 2013.

1. whatisacup

whatisacup

Oct 20, 2012
    I know the general unwritten rule for di's is passive bass>active DI, active bass>passive DI.

I play only passive P basses, but I run a VT Bass pedal in my signal on 99.9% of the time. Since the VT Bass makes the signal a bit hotter (I would assume), which kind of DI would work best?

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    The VT has a buffered output, which would put it more in line with an active bass, so a passive DI may be a good bet. I've used a VT with a Radial JDI in the past, and it worked just fine. I've also used that JDI with nothing but a passive bass, and it was fine. That said, if you were to use an active bass like a J48, or a Countryman, I'm sure you'd be just fine.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. whatisacup

whatisacup

Oct 20, 2012
    I haven't used a Di in quite a while, since I haven't been gigging much. I plan on start gigging again, and I have a MarkBass Super Pro DI Box that I used to use with my active basses.

I'm hoping the VT and the Super Pro DI Box will be a good fit. I would prefer not to buy another piece of gear right now.

5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    If you've already got both of those boxes, it couldn't hurt to just give it a shot. It's likely to work just fine.