Passive or Active Di for my situation.

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by whatisacup, Dec 23, 2013.

1. whatisacup

whatisacup

I know the general unwritten rule for di's is passive bass>active DI, active bass>passive DI.

I play only passive P basses, but I run a VT Bass pedal in my signal on 99.9% of the time. Since the VT Bass makes the signal a bit hotter (I would assume), which kind of DI would work best?

2. silky smoove

silky smoove

The VT has a buffered output, which would put it more in line with an active bass, so a passive DI may be a good bet. I've used a VT with a Radial JDI in the past, and it worked just fine. I've also used that JDI with nothing but a passive bass, and it was fine. That said, if you were to use an active bass like a J48, or a Countryman, I'm sure you'd be just fine.

3. whatisacup

whatisacup

I haven't used a Di in quite a while, since I haven't been gigging much. I plan on start gigging again, and I have a MarkBass Super Pro DI Box that I used to use with my active basses.

I'm hoping the VT and the Super Pro DI Box will be a good fit. I would prefer not to buy another piece of gear right now.

4. silky smoove

silky smoove

If you've already got both of those boxes, it couldn't hurt to just give it a shot. It's likely to work just fine.

5. Register to disable this ad