Passive P: DiMarzio vs. Delano vs. Joe Barden?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jaco Taco, Jan 28, 2014.

?

What Passive P would you choose?

1. DiMarzio

53 vote(s)
    54.1%
  2. Delano

31 vote(s)
    31.6%
  3. Joe Barden

14 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

So I'm thinking of getting another custom 6-string bass, one of my previous 6-strings used DiMarzio split P's and I'm very satisfied with them but I was wondering if I'm missing out on some other passive P pickup, namely either Delano or Joe Barden.

So, of these three, which would you rather use for a passive P: DiMarzio, Delano, or Joe Barden?

Feel free to leave your thoughts or comments as well as take the poll!

Thanks!
  2. robthebassplaye

robthebassplaye The World Needs More Bass Players - Start Early !! Supporting Member

I put a pair of Bardens on a passive USA 5 string Jazz bass, and I absolutely couldn't believe the tone - it was the clearest, most defined, most versatile tone I've ever gotten out of a passive bass. I couldn't be happier with them, there isn't a tone that I can't pull out of those PUs. Over time, grown I've tired of the Jazz bass neck (and spacing), and prefer my Cirrus basses. I know, they are entirely different animals, but the tone of the Jazz bass, with those PUs is awesome. I don't think you can go wrong with them. The DiMarzio's are pretty well understood and common place, so you know what they sound like. I don't have any first hand experience with the Delano's.
  3. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Barden has the worst customer service I've ever dealt with, so I'll continue to vote 'anything but Barden'.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Wow. What happened?
  7. DanGouge

DanGouge

Those are strong words given some of the, ahem, more notorious cases here in the Talkbass pickups forum.
  8. SlingBass4

SlingBass4 Supporting Member

A pretty limited list IMO... :meh:
  9. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

It is limited, one thing I didn't mention is because of the unusual string spacing on my bass (14mm), I pretty much need to go with blade/rails for the P pickups. That narrows it down to the three choices I mentioned. Yeah, I could have mentioned EMG or Bartolinis, but I'm not so crazy about those in a passive set-up.
  10. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

I agree with Rob, Barden has a pretty killer pickup and their construction quality is great. They are trying to turn the customer service around. It's improved for sure since they made some pretty big changes over there.

I'm using their PJ set in a project bass. They are pretty massive sounding and no preamp required in my opinion.
  11. SlingBass4

SlingBass4 Supporting Member

Ahhh......I see said the blind man - never mind ;)
  12. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Tis okay! Obviously, I'm not doing this poll to find out "the best P pickup evar!", I'm doing it to help me decide on what to put in my next custom bass. So I've narrowed down the options as to what will work for me.
  13. cnltb

cnltb

14. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

15. DannyBob

DannyBob

None of the above...I would stick with Seymour Duncan QPs
  16. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

I'm sure they are good but they won't work for my string spacing, I need blades.
  17. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    I have no personal experience with these guys, but Sentell makes P pickups with blades. Just giving you another option.
  18. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Never heard of them before, but thank you.
  19. Toptube

Toptube

20. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

21. cnltb

cnltb

I'm sure he/she/it would agree on these three. No? ;)