1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Passive to Active, did I do this right?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by awilkie84, Jan 17, 2014.

1. awilkie84

awilkie84

So, I followed the diagram for my Spector pre-amp. I've transplanted it into a formerly passive P-bass.

[​IMG]

It shows the purple lead & a ground lead (mine's black, not brown). My purple lead was too short, so I had to extend it with a piece of white wire.

Currently the ground lead is on the center connector, as shown in the diagram, and the purple/white lead is on where I think the sleeve would be. Then the battery lead is soldered to the sticky-up pin part.

I don't know if this is right? Do I have this wrong? I can't assemble the bass yet to check.

[​IMG]

2. Rob22315

Rob22315

That diagram looks funky. The parts of the jack are sleeve, ring, and tip. Output from the preamp should go to the tip. Ground from the preamp or the cavity ground should go to the sleeve. Ground from the battery should go to the ring.

I think the word 'sleeve' is incorrect on the diagram. IIRC, the inner most connection on the jack (shown as ground) is the sleeve. The connection shown as 'sleeve' is actually the tip so the purple wire is on the correct solder lug. In other words, it looks like the wires are going to the right place but the labels are wrong.

The best way to check is with a continuity checker and an instrument cable - find out which lug on the jack goes to the tip - put the purple wire on that. Find out which lug goes to the ring, put the battery ground on that, find out which lug goes to the sleeve, put the preamp/cavity ground on that.

3. awilkie84

awilkie84

The thing that really confuses me is that when the bass was passive, the hot from pickups was where the ground currently is & the ground was where the pre-amp is. Is the battery in the right spot? :S If the pre-amp is supposed to be on the tip, isn't that what the battery lead is on, too? :S

4. Crater

Crater

It's wrong. You need a different output jack - you're trying to re-use the standard mono jack, it won't work. You need a stereo jack to enable the battery switching function. Don't put a battery in until you get the proper output jack!

It should look like this, note that there's 3 solder lugs, not two.

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rob22315

Rob22315

Yes, this is what you need. The top, inner lug is the sleeve, the middle lug is the ring, and the lowest lug is the tip.

7. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers and Spector Basses
    I just got my new tone pump in yesterday and PJ or someone wrote wiring directions on a sticky note. If you need them I can send them to you later tonight.

8. awilkie84

awilkie84

Thanks. Someone in the Spector forums just informed me of the same thing. I knew something was off, I just didn't know what. :D