1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Passive tone stack

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by PBFACTOR, Feb 12, 2014.

1. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

A passive tone stack on an amp would mean cut only, correct?
  2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

Google Fender tone stack, you will find lots of useful info.
  3. VerryBerry

VerryBerry Supporting Member

That is correct.

From the Traynor YBA-200 Manual:

"Tech Note: The YBA200 has been fitted with a traditional passive tone stack. This allows the
    tubes to generate natural sounding harmonics when driven into saturation. Active tone controls
    can generate unwanted harmonics when clipping interrupts the feedback loop in the amplifier.
    Passive tone controls are always subtractive, which means they can only reduce the gain in
    their specific frequency ranges. Active tone controls, on the other-hand, are wrapped around
    an amplifier and will provide gain boost when the controls are turned past the middle position."

As it was explained in a post I cannot now find, you start by turning up all the EQ controls to max. At this point you are not attenuating the signal. Then, you subtract what frequencies you don't want by turning down the appropriate control.
  4. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

In general practice, yes. It's possible to build a passive cut/boost tone control circuit, but it's complicated and AFIK rarely done.
  5. Jeff Scott

Actually the "flat" setting of a typical Fender passive tone stack is approximately 2-10-2 if the knobs are marked 1 through 10, or around 8:00/5:00/8:00.
  6. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

7. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    The Fender stack can boost highs and lows, so is it truly passive?
  8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

The boost is relative to the insertion loss of the tone stack. I think.
  9. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

If you didn't have loss when the tone circuit is put in the signal pathway, a boost would run out of headroom.
  10. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I think I'm starting to understand.

The bass and treble controls cause less insertion loss as they're turned up. Which then appears as a "boost" after the make up gain stage that follows.
  11. Jeff Scott

Correct, it is all related to make up gain.

Here is the big cheese in the passive EQ world. :bassist:
  12. Rob22315

Rob22315

With a few exceptions, passive circuits don't boost. Boosting requires active.
  13. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

I don't care if it's active or passive, but IMO the Fender Tone Stack is the foshizzle!! It is exactly what I want out of a bass sound.
  14. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Not necessarily -- it's kind of a semantics thing. When you look at the whole picture of how an amp works, not just the tone stack by itself, you'll see that boost/cut EQ is readily done using a passive stack. IMHO this thread is the go-to starting point for understanding bass amp EQ: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/some-discussion-amp-eqs-950782/