Passive Volume/Tone "Stomp" Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mikelb7, Jan 19, 2014.

1. mikelb7

mikelb7

Full disclosure: I started out as a guitard who mainly used his volume knob to go from clean to dirty sounds. While I try to do the same on bass, I find it a lot tougher to reach down and make quick changes on-the-fly on my P-bass. I tend to play with a decent amount of gain (VT Bass into an Ampeg SVP-CL just as pre's) so I'm looking to have a switch to stomp on which rolls off some volume/gain for a clean tone when engaged (and full distortion/gain when disengaged). Kind of a reverse distortion/volume "down" pedal if you will.

Basically, I'm wondering if there's any passive and volume "stomp" pedals (or schematics/reputable builders) out there. Not looking for anything aside from the standard P-bass guts in a stomp-able form really. Not looking to use a traditional volume pedal as my foot isn't sensitive or steady enough to utilize this method properly. Tone controls (passive, ala the P-bass) would be appreciated but not as necessary.

Any advice?? Thanks in advance for your help!
  2. Swift713

Swift713

I think plenty of boosters can be set below unity gain. Also most eq pedals can do this.
  3. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Why not just use the volume knob on your P bass?
  4. mikelb7

mikelb7

Thanks Swift, may have to go down that route if necessary. I don't have any other bass-specific EQ or booster pedals, so I'd be buying something even if I do use your suggestion.

If I could, I would but I think my playing style makes this a little tough (busy fingerstyle, power trio/space-filling kind of deal). Now, I know what you're thinking ("suck it up buttercup!") and while I could certainly stand to toughen up, I'd rather find a stomp-based solution. I may have been playing bass for a while but I still maintain some guitard tendencies ;)

On guitar, I found it a lot easier to let a note/chord ring out and make slight tweaks as needed. I mostly played a Strat also so the knob was right by my pinky. Can't seem to find the space or time (musically speaking) on bass though... woe is me!
  5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    it's far from passive but you could always get an eq pedal like the SA programmable graphic eq. it has a volume pot that you can set below your normal level. you could even eq it a little to simulate the slight top end rolloff that occurs when you roll the volume down on a passive instrument, then click it on and bypass it to get you back up to full volume.

[​IMG]
  6. Denver Max

Denver Max

Would a volume pedal not work?
  7. newbold

newbold

Why not make one yourself?