1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Patch cables

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ariv2008, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Ariv2008

Ariv2008

Starting a pedal board and I'm gonna need some patch cables. I'm looking to get good quality patch cables to reduce noise and all that. I've seen them go for as low at like 5 bucks and as high as 25 bucks a pop. So just wonder who's got some reliable patches that they'd recommend. I'll be running about 9 pedals in my chain, one of them is a foot switch for the RC-30looper.

2. runmikeyrun

runmikeyrun

Look on amazon.com and go by the star ratings. Don't buy all the hype though, you don't need gold plated plugs or Monster cable. Find the lowest priced cables with the best ratings. Boom.

3. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Agree about patch cable hype, ignore it. $7-$10 a pop should get you some good ones.

4. raelalt

raelalt

You might want to consider using couplers instead. They save on space since you can position the boxes closer to each other. They come direct as well as in different degree of offsets. Plus they are cheaper.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. boomertech

boomertech Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Rigid couplers can be a danger to pedal jacks. A flexible connection between your pedals lessens the possibility of solder fractures between the jack and PCB.

-Frank

7. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

DiMarzio cables are my favorite. They have the smallest/narrowest connectors, sound great, and look great. I have very few pedals that have jacks that line up with the pedal next to it, so these are great. I found pancake connectors too wide, and most others just way too big.

9. wshines1892

wshines1892

I'll second the planet waves kit. Been using and loving it now for about a year and a half. Only thing if caution about it, or any roll your own cable kit, is either get a cable tester to make sure the thing works, or be prepared to individually plug in each cable to ensure they work. There's no worse feeling than cutting and wiring up your entire board and then when you go to play there's no sound. Been there, had to undo everything and trouble shoot all the cable to find the bad one.

10. mouthmw

mouthmw

Hosa pancakes. Affordable and thinnest. Nothing wrong with them.

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Mogami Gold 6" angled. $22 a pop, five years old at least, never a single issue.

12. ptleftybass

ptleftybass Supporting Member

13. kylejamesbaker

kylejamesbaker

I usually use Planet Waves too. Mine have lasted me a long time.
    I also like Mogami and Lava.

14. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Media:
  15. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

I use Lava Cables pre-made mini ECL with the Switchcraft 229 pancake connectors. Flexible low-capatance cable, small connectors, made in any length and great craftsmanship. Not the lowest cost, but not the highest either.

16. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    +1

17. neuman

neuman Supporting Member

I use a mix of the Hosa pancakes, LiveWire 12", and the $5 check-out counter 6 inchers from GC; 6 years in and none have failed or given me any trouble

18. Ariv2008

Ariv2008

The planet waves kit is looking pretty good. With the space I'd like to work with and depending on what order I put things I'm gonna have some pretty odd angles on my board. Being able to customize my patches will be a huge help.

19. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator Supporting Member

+1 for Hosas. Nice and low profile, good quality, cheap, and various lengths.

20. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Media:
    A note on the planet waves: the connectors are pretty bulky and the cable is rigid so it's hard to use them in some situations.

21. Ariv2008

Ariv2008

In what kind of situation would they be hard to use?