1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Paul Gardiner of Gary Numan/Tubeway Army

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by LotusCarsLtd52, Feb 14, 2010.

1. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

I was curious if anyone knew what equipment Paul Gardiner used when he was with Gary Numan, especially on Replicas and The Pleasure Principle. I've seen Gary Numan videos and it appears that he uses a Fender Precision but I was hoping someone could provide more info.

I'm especially curious how he gets that nice bass tone you hear in "Are 'friends' electric?" and "Airline".

2. Makatak

Makatak

Yeah , and " you are In my vision " on Replicas . Paul gardiner was a big influence for me , even though I was a drummer back then . Ive only seen pics with his Black P / Maple neck . Not a bad player for a Junkie .

3. Meddle

Meddle

If you find the Old Grey Whistle Test version of Down in the Park on youtube his playing is massively up front.

Its cool how he fitted in such an electronic band, and kept the punk influence there.

4. Transistor Bass

Transistor Bass

There are pics of Paul using a Shergold bass in 1978

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mixtapelove

mixtapelove

There's some really good footage out there of a '79 concert which sounds incredible. It looks like he played the black Precision the whole time. For the tone it sounds pretty heavily chorused with perhaps a slight phaser. I'm quite partial to it myself.

That's the thing I loved about that stuff is the wall of cold electronics juxtaposed again a human rhythm section.

Way ahead of their time, those guys. I try to imagine how that sounded in 1979 against the popular genres around then and it must have boggled the mind.

7. murphy

murphy

wasn't he Garys Uncle? Or was that the drummer?

8. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

pretty sure he was a P guy. I love those 3 Numan records (Replicas, Pleasure Principle and Telekon)

9. Transistor Bass

Transistor Bass

Gary's uncle drummed on the Tubeway Army albums (Tubeway Army, Replicas)

If I remember rightly, Paul used a sunburst P when Tubeway Army appeared on the Old Grey Whistle Test

10. Transistor Bass

Transistor Bass

11. Transistor Bass

Transistor Bass

12. murphy

murphy

very cool
    they are such great basslines......