1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Paul Hinklin

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by xtian, Jul 13, 2000.

1. xtian

xtian

Hi Michael,
    I know you played with Paul Hinklin, and I was wondering if you might be able to get me into his head a bit. I have found SadHappy to be mind-bogglingly inspirational, especially their first tape, Spin Cycle.

Paul's playing is so different than other performers, but SadHappy is not the kind of band that gets interviews in Bass Player, etc.

What does he play? How does he approach the instrument? What's his angle?

Since I live in Budapest, I have not been able to see them live, and I am hoping you can help me understand Paul's playing and give me that personal viewpoint on him.

Thanks for making yourself available on TalkBass.com!
    - Christian

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Christian,
    I'm glad you're interested in Paul! He's one of my favorite bass players, but as you mentioned, he seldom gets the press he deserves. He is a very emotional, visceral musician but at the same time a strikingly intelligent and thoughtful person. Although he has a pretty serious musical education and definitely can hold his own blowing through bebop heads, he's a rocker at heart and the power and energy of punk is what really motivates him. He usually plays a P-bass through a solid state SVT into two Eden 4x10 cabs, but recently he's been goofing around with a few other basses including a Rickenbacker and a 5-string Jazz. What most appeals to me about his playing is that he has such a strong personal voice on the bass. There are bassists who are cleaner, flashier and groovier, but when Paul plays, I really get the feeling he has something to say.

Thanks for writing,
    Michael

3. hafwit

hafwit

Is Paul Hinklin performing or recording currently (06/2011)? I would love to hear new stuff from him.

Spin Cycle is one of my favorite tapes as well. I would love to get a digital copy of that one. In particular "Evan's Flyers" - the old Seattle Music made hundreds off me in delay pedals because of that one song.

4. Michael Manring

I'm sorry to say I haven't heard much from Paul lately. I sure hope he's still out there making amazing music. He's one of my favorite bass players!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

I've been listening to the first two SadHappy albums a lot recently - after hearing Julie Slick's Bass and Drums duo with Carl Bahner - was trying to work out the last time I heard something so mind-blowingly incredible from a line-up that sparse.

Paul's an unbelievable player... Julie's up there too :)

Steve

7. brad houser

brad houser

the last time I saw Paul Hinklin (year ago) he was homeless living on the street in Olympia WA

8. brad houser

brad houser

he's had psychological challenges in the last few years and has been having a hard time.

9. mindwell

mindwell Supporting Member

Brad, thanks for sharing what you know about how Paul is doing.

10. Michael Manring

Thanks, Brad. I'm sorry to hear he's struggling. If you do run into him, please let him know their are lots of us who care about him and will be glad to help if we can.

11. basso cantabile

basso cantabile

I am so sorry to hear that Paul is having trouble. He is an amazing bassist, simply put.

I was fortunate enough to catch Paul Hinklin and Michael Manring when they performed together as SadHappy @ Bumbershoot 1994. Needless to say, it was a stellar performance, and I just wish they got more attention.

I will never get over 'The Accidental Family' or 'Wendy's Pumkin' and a whole host of other tracks. Hinklin and Manring are Gods, to me!

12. Rabbit666

Rabbit666

Paul's one of my all time favorites. I STILL play along to Wendy's Pumpkin, Carol, Evan's, Maintenance Pissed, etc. [Can anyone tell me if he's slapping in Beautiful Carol? How does he play the scale? Amazing.]

I have tried to find any information about him on the web since Sadhappy.

Thanks for your update, Brad. Are there any more details you are able to share? I am just wondering what illness he has, and what has happened to him over the years. Thank you.

13. brad houser

brad houser

recently I heard that Paul is no longer homeless and is doing much better.

14. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

15. Michael Manring

Thanks, Brad. That's good to hear.

16. 5 string tapper

5 string tapper

I heard from Evan Schiller (Sadhappy's drummer) that Spin Cycle and Sideways Laughing might be released via iTunes. We should get a petition going to get this to happen and have Bass Player do a long overdue cover story on Paul. Skerik started in Sadhappy and has since gone on to play with monster bassists Les Claypool and Charlie Hunter. The bass playing community is a little in the dark about this amazing lineage that originated with those original tapes Spin Cycle and Sideways Laughing. I've never even heard them before but I would buy them instantly because Paul's playing is some of the most intense, melodic, and powerful bass work ever crafted.

17. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Is it possible we could get all together and do something for him?

18. 5 string tapper

5 string tapper

Maybe someone with some "political power" here can get a web of marketing going on between the fact that Sadhappy duo Hinklin/Schiller played on Artis the Spoonman's album and Soundgarden wrote a song about Spoonman and they have a new album coming out soon. I don't know anybody but I can connect some of the dots in my mind.

19. Michael Manring

There's some good news to report! I've been in touch with some folks who are close to Paul and he's doing well and getting back into making music. They say he sounds better than ever! I can't wait to hear what he's up to...

20. daycaredropout

daycaredropout

I am paul hinklins nephew, Daniel. If anyone has any word abouts where i might be able to talk to him, id gladly appreciate it. I first hand witnessed what happened to paul and its sad. if you dont beleive me, send me a personal message on here. or call me on my phone 541-653-0280, i can verify i am family, and im close family.

21. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Doing a Bass Player story on him sounds like a good thing.
    Anybody have connections with Brian Fox?