1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Paul Young with Pino Palladino

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Correlli, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Correlli

Correlli

Just been listening to some off Paul Young's hit songs from the eighties. I gotta say that Pino plays some pretty slick grooves, and the tone...

Anyway, I've been to Pino's website to try and find something that really demonstrates is bass playing talent, but there's so much to from!

To save me from hours of rummaging though TB achives and what not, does any know of anything really specfic, that demonstrates his bass playing well?

All replies much appreciated.
  2. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist

He's a truly great bassist. Very under-rated.
    I haven't heard anything as good as what he's done with Paul Young.
    He was well mixed there!!!!

Sadly his work with The Who required him to be almost anonymous.
  3. bassbrother

bassbrother

Check out the cd "Circle of one" from Oleta Adams. Pino does great things on that album. Especially on the track called "don't look to closely"...
  4. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    He did some nice work with Go West as well (first 2 albums). A couple tracks on Tears for Fears' Seeds of Love album. If you can find it, Manu Katche's debut album "It's about time" features Pino a lot. He's not playing the fretless much these days tho; he seems to have left that behind.
  5. JimK

JimK

I'll second the Go West albums...especially their debut.

His performance with Paul Young on the Live Aid DVDs is also good(compared to, say, Marcus Miller's with Brian Ferry on the same set.). ;)
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Go buy Pete Townshend's "White City" CD.

Pino also played some really tasty stuff with Gary Numan on the "I, Assassin" album if you can find it.
  7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

+1. He's burning on "Give Blood," in particular.
  8. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    And "Face the face"...I forgot about White City; great record all around.
  9. Philbiker

"Face the Face" was the song I played with when I got home with my first fretless.
  10. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Pino's MASSIVE...have you heard 'I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down'? My God that man can play...
  11. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Three words..."New York Minute."

It's on one of the Don Henley solo albums- just plain inspirational fretless if you ask me.

Lonnybass
  12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

another 7 words...

Jill Scott's "Can't Explain (42nd Street Happenstance)"

HOLY CRAP, his groove is soooooooooooooooooooooo laid back, he's practically in the track before it. :p i love how he recalls those old skoo anthony jackson grooves of the '70s.

while i appreciate his work in the '80s, his recent work is just unreal. its like he merely plucks his feel off of a tree.
  13. Moe84

Moe84

Pino is Freakin Awesome!! IMO, He has played with so many greats. Examples ,,, Pete Townsend's "Give BLood" OMG Pino is tearing it up on fretless and he has such a great tone on that..Paul Youngs Tear your playhouse down and Everytime you Go. Pino just rocks and Don Henlys New YorK Minute .. I can sit and listen to Pino play Phretless all day long :)
  14. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator

definitely, especially the riffing at the end
  15. Philbiker

Pino's damn good on a fretted bass also, it's unfortunate he doesn't get the respect on fretted that he deserves.
  16. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

I'll give him as much respect as he deserves man. Fretted AND Fretless, the man's a God. I'm a big fan of his work with D'Angelo as well...can anyone say Jamerson??

But yeh, 'I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down' is so Pino...OC-2 and his fretless really make for some seriously smooth synth style sounds.
  17. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Guess who Pino is on tour with right now (in Japan).......Jeff Beck, and Vinnie Coliuta is the drummer. God, I hope they tour the USA.
  18. Ian Perge

Ian Perge

Damn skippy. As much as I dislike Henley's work in general, I can't help but love this song. It's in Pino's top 5, easily.

I gladly kneel at the alter of the bassist who was asked to play the opening "ants dancing" bass solo during the beginning of "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown". :)
  19. 8guy

8guy

Sort of obscure but he played on Gary Numans "I Assassin" In the early 80s, It was Garys Follow up to"dance" That had Mick Karn on fretless.

....Ok dont laugh so hard I was stationed in England in the early 80s and became a sort of numan fan :oops:
  20. Correlli

Correlli

I've just collated all of the ideas you guy's have posted.

thank you very much.

I gonna stop by a mp3 webstore and get a sample from each artist.

"Circle of one" from Oleta Adams

Manu Katche's

Go West

Tears for Fears

Pete Townshend's "White City"

"New York Minute." Don Henley solo

Jill Scott's "Can't Explain (42nd Street Happenstance)"

Pete Townsend's "Give BLood"

D'Angelo

Gary Numans "I Assassin"