Pawn Shop Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Trayster2, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Trayster2

Trayster2 Supporting Member

So I'm in a local pawn shop & there's a black Fender jazz bass for $399. Strings look rusty, but the rest looks decent (a little fading of paint on the body). No major dings or scratches, bridge isn't rusted, and the neck looks great. Is there anything else I should inspect? Is this a fair price? Help!

2. wilfred

wilfred

Yea i'd play the thing to..

3. progrockbass

progrockbass

Need some more information and pics if you can. Check to see if there are any dead spots by playing each note and look down the neck to see if it's straight. Where is it made? (look on the headstock) You can run the serial number here http://www.guitardaterproject.org/fender.aspx and that should tell you the year, where it was made etc then it's easier to tell whether it's a good deal or not.

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

If its a MIM I would go no more than 250.00 if everything checks out you can throw another 250.00 into it and have a nice playing bass. I agree with progrockbass we need some pics to see what it is what model number?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

if its a $400 MIM walk away

7. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

I wouldn't bother with it unless you really liked the way it played or sounded. Basses like that in that price range are all over the place.

8. bryan gibson

bryan gibson

One of my local GC's has an active MIM Jazz for $299....

9. chef wong

chef wong Banned

You really cannot trust a pawn shop. Dirty people, dirty business.

10. Trayster2

Thanks! I did try it out, but didn't play every note. I'm forgetting it. My gut is telling me to.

11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

There are some decent pawn shops but you have to know what you are doing and what the prices of stuff are or like any other place you will get beat.

12. justinellison3

justinellison3

Amen. I wouldn't pay anymore than 350 for a NICE one.

13. Trayster2

Yes, I agree. I offered $350 & he said no. I'm kind of glad because it's too steep for me anyway. Thanks for the help. :)

14. bassdawg96

bassdawg96

I recently found a 98-99 American Jazz in a pawn shop. The price tag said $399.00. They were doing a 40% off. I paid aprox. $260.00. Natural finish with a maple/maple neck. Needed new strings and a little cleaning up but it is a beast!!
    You can find good deals in the pawn shops, usually when you aren't looking you just have to do your research. I missed a late 70's Stingray a few years ago for $300. I went to get the money and in less than 1 hour, it was gone.:bassist:

15. SirMjac28

I agree it was better in the days before eBay now everyone is an expert

16. Buslady7803

Buslady7803

When your gut says No, you listen. Good move passing on it.

17. klejst

klejst

I would say the worker at the pawn shop at this point is simply fishing for a sucker who will pay the $399 asking price for the bass. There are other I am sure equally alright basses out there for a more decent of a asking price.

18. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

you should have just grabbed the serial # off of it for posterity sake ...

...I actually like to let the pawn shop folk know that there are informed folk out there, I always let them know what they have, and if they think they know more about it, I just smile and politely wish them luck as I move on ...

... helps to keep everybody honest, or at least thinking about it ... JMHO

19. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy

This...

I got the same bass from a pawn shop assuming it is an MIM for $99

20. awilkie84

awilkie84

I wish I lived where you do! All the Pawn Shops around me, regardless of how inept the staff are, use the internet to confirm serials & pricing. -_- NEVER a good deal to be found.
    They want $450 for an import BC Rich Warlock 5 string bass with HSC. I wouldn't pay over $200 for the PoS. Their Aria Pro II 4 string is priced at $300, too.

21. ntenny

ntenny

Well, you can pretty much trust them to be in it to turn over inventory and make a buck. In my experience, most of them have been OK to deal with as long as you keep those expectations in mind. Keep the BS low, sanity-check the merchandise, don't waste anybody's time arguing over whether it's priced right, just make an offer and buy it or don't. Sounds like the OP did it right.

-NT