1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Pawn Shop Find

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by urb, Dec 25, 2012.

1. urb

urb

I found this in a pawn shop yesterday and I thought the price seemed too cheap. It's a Dean Rhapsody and I got it for 100USD.

It's an eight string , EMG-HZ pick ups with a custom Dean preamp and a set of grover tuners. I don't know if I like it. Anyone have any experience with this bass?

Attached Files:

• dean.jpg
      dean.jpg
      File size:
      153.2 KB
      Views:
  2. SpecialBlender

SpecialBlender

No experience with a Dean or an 8 string but I'd say you scored a pretty good deal for 100.00.

3. Yango

Yango

4. SixxStringBass

SixxStringBass

Nice find! I just got my 8 string for Christmas today in the form of an ESP B208, they are LOADS of fun to play!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. urb

urb

Thanks guys , but I don't think I like it. My other bass is a 5 string and I wish it was a 4. I play a six string guitar mostly . Well used to , they have been collecting dust lately. For some reason I have become infatuated with bass.

7. GM60466

GM60466

nice bass at a great price

8. rickwebb

rickwebb

i HAD a Dean 8-String just like that. Sounded great, played great- i just hated the way it looked. Sold it and bought an ESP 8-Banger. Good score though!

9. kjpollo

kjpollo

8's are a very specialized creature. For starters I think most players who use them play them with a pick so if you're mainly a fingerstyle bassist it might not work for you.

I know you can get some great sounds out of them but they seem to be a very specialized instrument. I cant imagine using one on a bar gig on a cover of Mustang Sally.

But is still looks like you got a GREAT deal on that bass. if it doesnt work for you, you can always try to trade or sell it in the classifieds. Might take a while to move though- I think the market for 8's if rather small.

10. urb

urb

If I were to remove the octave strings , would I need to do anything with the truss rod to compensate for tension?

11. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Well, you'd probably need to loosen it. What I think is a better idea is to try and sell it for several times what you paid for it, and then use that money to buy a four string you like.

12. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Or join a Cheap Trick tribute band.

13. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59

Nice score. $100 for that is a no brainer.:)

14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Uh...dude? You scored! Congrats!

15. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

Seriously, spend the money to get a membership and sell or trade it here. If you sell it, use the cash to get something you'll like.

16. redzebra6

redzebra6

My brother in law got one from his wife this this past summer for his b-day, lucky bast...pun...uh...guy!

He loves it. I know his wife got it for a deal at about $350-400-ish. He describe it as going from thick to thicker-er, sound wise.

17. urb

urb

Thanks guys , as KJPollo pointed out , it's going to be a tough sale. I listed it on Craigslist to trade or sale and didn't get one reply. Not even a scammer. The bottom G has a distinct buzz that annoys the **** out of me. Maybe the bridge needs to have a file lightly passed through it.