Pay to Play - at least these guys are up front about it.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jazzbill, Jan 8, 2013.

1. jazzbill

jazzbill

Musical Talents ages 16+, Here's your chance! (House of Blues)

Date: 2013-01-07, 3:36PM CST
    Reply to this post rwrgf-3529420548@comm.craigslist.org[?]
    ARE YOU AN UPCOMING ARTIST, MUSICIAN, OR BAND LOOKING FOR SOMEWHERE TO PERFORM, NETWORK, GAIN FANS, AND HAVE A GREAT TIME? THEN YOU SHOULD PERFORM AT TOP NOTCH LIVE!!

TOP NOTCH LIVE IS A MONTHLY EVENT ALLOWING UPCOMING ARTISTS TO PERFORM LIVE! NOT ONLY DO YOU PERFORM LIVE, NETWORK, GAIN FANS, YOU ALSO PERFORM IN FRONT OF MUSIC EXECS FROM MAJOR AND INDIE LABELS.

THIS IS NOT A PAID GIG, BUT IF YOU ARE INTERESTED PLEASE SUBMIT YOUTUBE LINKS AND MP3! THIS IS NOT A SCAM, THIS IS REAL OPPORTUNITY!

FOR MUSICAL ACTS THAT BRING GUESTS, ADMISSION FEE IS $10.
    FOR MUSICAL ACTS THAT COME WITHOUT GUESTS, ADMISSION FEE IS $20.

DATE OF PERFORMANCE: JANUARY 20, 2013
    EVENT STARTS AT 5PM
    VENUE: 2200 N. Lamar Street Dallas, TX 75202
  2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

20 bucks is pretty reasonable, but what do they charge your friends and family?
  3. Kenzy

Kenzy

I know this is a special event so it's not really the same, but the San Diego House of Blues typically charges bands $1000 to play a set there (I don't know the length). Like many venues, this charge can be paid in pre-sale tickets, one-hundred $10 tickets in this case... and of course the band isn't paid. I don't understand why one would want to play there... :scowl:
  4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I think Matticus almost played there. I don't recall him saying it was that bad, but I don't think he said anything too positive about the place, either.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

10 bucks or 1000 bucks? OP said they were being upfront!
  7. Kenzy

Kenzy

It's probably a reduced price since it's a special event. :smug:

But I was told by a booking agent that they required a $1000 fee to play there. I've avoided that venue...
  8. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

We played the "House of Blues" in Hollywood. Only it wasnt the main stage, it was a room upstairs called the Foundation Room.
    And even for that room, they wanted us to pay them $300 (30 tickets, $10 each), though they gave us 200 tickets to sell at any price we wanted. We ended up breaking even, recovering expenses. Id not do it again.
  9. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

Only suckers will participate in this and that's what they are counting on.
  10. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

Hahaha! $20....really? The Wiskey in Hollywood will allow you onto their stage for accepting 60 tickets for $10 each. So, yea you are on the hook for $600. You get to play at a classic venue with other bands that night, and make nothing. Can you imagine having to find 60 people for every gig when you are first starting out? I figure 10% of your fan base will go to each of your concerts. So based on that logic, you need 600 people in your fan base to expect 60 people at each of your shows. And earn nothing? Pay to play logic is not in a band's best interest.
  11. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

I guarantee your there is a ton of fine print and details beyond that ad.

Remember that money makes the world go round and that's the only thing these people are interested in. They aren't doing this out of the goodness of their heart.