Pay to play

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by lorianb, Dec 31, 2012.

1. lorianb

lorianb

2. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

Yeah its been posted on talkbass before. Great article, but I don't think it would work unless you made musicians like unions used too be (forced entry) and had them all not play unless they are properly compensated and respected. Good luck, because well unions are dying and when it comes to musicians like he says in the article: bar owners don't get it and niether do most bands (see the bit about getting any band off craigslist).

just my .02 cents.
  3. CalboDaGo

CalboDaGo Banned

i figured a thread titled "pay to play" would be about red light districts or videogame arcades. arent most gigs pay to play, i mean...i get paid to play all the time. why do people make such a big deal about this?:bassist:
  4. alembicguy

alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner Supporting Member

Unions are dying???
    Not an entirely true statement. You would be surprised who you go see in a large venue (concert or outdoor festival) and exactly how many union people are part of the production.
    A lot of top name bands pay union dues thru their management company.
    Ever go see a popular orchestra? Not too many seats occupied by non union players.
    I'm assuming you are talking on a smaller scale such as club gigs and such, so I will step down from my soapbox now. Apologize for the derailment. These are not the droids you are looking for........ Move along.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

yep..I'm sure your right on several fronts their, but I was refering to your standard working/gigging musician