1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Paying Bars to Stay Closed at Penn State

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Feb 19, 2014.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

I grew up about 45 minutes from Penn State's University Park campus, and while I love State College, I admit that a lot of the culture that inhabits that town, especially with regard to its football status, is just plain weird and juvenile.

Anyways, I heard about this on the radio today and found it amusing:

http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/penn-state-paying-bars-stay-closed-state-pattys-da/ndTCT/

Thoughts?
  2. fmoore200

fmoore200

If I was a business I would wait for the last second to accept. If most of my competitors took the money and I was the only bar opened I would clean up!
  3. T-birdfan

T-birdfan Supporting Member

It's not the bars that need to stay closed at Penn State.
  4. phatcyclist

phatcyclist

Yep.
  5. kanonfodr

kanonfodr Supporting Member

Why in the heck would I (as a hypothetical bar owner) want to close my business on what is potentially one of the most profitable days of the years??

Peace,
    Greg
  6. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Supporting Member

If the payout exceeded expected profits? Although you could lose goodwill of patrons.
  7. Unprofessional

Unprofessional Supporting Member

Well, it's cheaper than buying the buildings that the bars are located in. Yes, that has been tried.
  8. jrthebassguy

jrthebassguy Supporting Member

I have no idea what the situation is like in that town, but I imagine any truly successful bar can outsell way more than $7,500 in net sales. But if you run Uncle Generic's Basement Dweller Pub, it might make some financial sense.
  9. fmoore200

fmoore200

Times are too hard to appeal to my sense of civic duty. If I can make more money, selling to legal drinkers, I see no reason to close my doors unless I'm being blown away by the offer
  10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    When I was a grad student at Notre Dame, they typically made sure that St. Pat's day was during spring break. The one year when they didn't do that, they had to cancel classes halfway into the morning.
  11. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Think about that- free money, no problems with drunken children and you get to spend the night any way you want. Or, you can have an unruly mob getting drunk & puking, using your supplies and liquor and working a hard night, without a guarantee of income.
  12. fmoore200

fmoore200

Owning a bar is a funny choice of profession if you aren't prepared to deal with drunk people :confused:

And this day was invented by college students for the sole purpose of getting drunk, it's pretty likely you'll make money if you own a bar. The specific bar owner has to know whether he'll make enough to justify staying open our just taking the cash. If it's a wash, I would close to not deal with the headache, but if I could turn a substantial profit (like if I was the only bar open on this particular night) I would most def stay open.
  13. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

Having played The Crowbar countless times (back when it was open of course) the thought makes me sad.
  14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

15. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

It's now called Levels. I played there recently. Cool place, but the Crowbar was definitely a very important venue to Central PA music culture.
  16. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

Yeah, losing the Crowbar stung a little. Losing Tinks in the northeast region was comparable, IMO. Both were such rock solid staples of live music for their regions. Similar in importance to their respective areas as Seacrets still is to OCMD.
  17. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

That would be a double-edged sword- if they get all of the customers, they also get all of the problems.

A lot of bar owners end up being there at select times of the day, specifically because they DON'T want to deal with the BS and so they can spend time with their other pursuits or family. I worked at a bar in '80-'81 and we had problems all the time. One time, someone who was in town to do high steel work came in, became violent after being cut off and after he went outside, started kicking the glass door. Long story-short, I went out the other door as a way to distract him, but figured that he'd lose interest if it took enough time to stumble very far and, unfortunately some others went out the door and followed him. He moved toward the bar owner's son and another guy stepped in. The guy made a move with his hand that looked like a punch, but it turned out that he had a little box cutter, slicing my friend's neck and barely missing his carotid artery. That was a lot of blood.

I know a bar owner and used to go to his place- his bouncers were very persuasive, read 'large and intimidating'. Didn't stop people from testing them, though. He also had a lot of cops as customers and it's common for them to keep an eye out if they're at the places on their own time. Doesn't stop them from being out of line, though. One time, a detective from a smaller, suburban city was grabbing a waitress and being obnoxious, so she told one of the bouncers. Just before closing and after another grope, the bouncer told the guy he needed to go. Taking the bouncer's small stature as his clue to pull his fist back to pop Dimitri, Dimitri took that as his clue to dodge the punch and drop teh cop with one to the chin. Dimitri was a really good amateur boxer. They watched the video after bar time for months after it happened.
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The question is whether they would generate more than $7,500 in net profit.
  19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The students could short-circuit the plan by holding the celebration a day early or a day late.
  20. Unprofessional

Unprofessional Supporting Member

College Drinking Short-Course for Independents - DR099

1. College students are going to drink. Underage college students are going to drink. This is a fact. Accept it as a fact. Accept it as a challenge to do it in an adult manner enough to not let anyone get hurt or go to jail.
    2. Never go out drinking alone. Never.
    3. Don't drink and drive. Ever. Know that there is an industry with absolutely no mercy built around this now. It's about money and no appeal for reasonableness will matter. You're in college. You're smart enough to figure out a way to get there and back without drinking and driving.
    4. When you go out drinking with your crew, you are individually and collectively responsible for every other member of the crew. This especially applies to females in your crew. Everyone must be accounted for. Nobody gets left behind. This includes having to sometimes p**s off members of your crew who are too drunk and dead-set on f**king up. It may sometimes have to get physical if they are drunk enough. They will forgive you for keeping them out of jail or some other flavor of trouble.
    5. Do not mouth off at or argue with the cops. Say "yes, sir" or "yes, ma'm", do what the officer says to do and don't spend the night in jail. Just pour out the stupid drink. Doing these things will end your involvement with law enforcement favorably about 99.9% of the time. The college town cops don't really want to put you in jail but, if you force the issue or punch the right button, they will.
    6. Do not p**s off bouncers, door men, bartenders or the wait staff. They have ways of getting back at people who act like tools because they think they can. See number 5.
    7. There are people who are "mean drunks". If these people drink, they will start a fight with someone over something. Don't let these people be a part of your crew. You don't need the drama and the police contact.

My friends and I partied our a$$es off in college. Nobody who applied these simple rules got seriously accidentally hurt, got arrested for DUI, got beat up or got killed. Don't lecture the freshmen, educate them.