1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Paying It Forward

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by pnchad, Nov 3, 2012.

1. pnchad

pnchad

I've been lucky playing bass for 45 yrs now and in the past 15 years or so I've had the means to acquire a lot of instruments including 3 nice DBs.

For a while now I've been trying to figure out how to give back to the DB community in some way.

I can't play DB anymore (except with a bow) due to RS issues. So, I'm ready to part with a couple of DBs. They are all good quality 70+ yrs old.

Not being rich I do need to sell one but the other....

I guess what I'm looking for is help structuring some process whereby a worthy, promising young player could end up owning one of these basses.

It always tugs at me when I see a thread from an enthusiastic youngster dreaming of a bass worth commiting to but not having the means or, settling on an inferior instrument which could crush one's ambition.

Ideas?

2. Thumpie

Thumpie

Essay contest?

(Your idea is beautiful. I think it's somewhat unsavory to read about people "flipping" basses when they score one priced under market value. It's nice to read about someone wanting to do the opposite!)

3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Maybe you could contact a local school that has a music program and donate it. That way many students could enjoy playing it. You might even be able to take a tax deduction for the donation.

4. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Bravo - What a nice idea! ;)

Maybe you should contact the music department of your favourite local university and discuss it with them. Up here the Canada Council takes care of finding players for master instruments that are 'On Loan from the Collection of ...'.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pnchad

pnchad

all good ideas - i'd love to know that some individual really excelled on it but the idea of sharing and providing opportunities to multiples is interesting too

7. Thumpie

Thumpie

(But I think you should keep one for bowing! Your enjoyment of the instrument doesn't have to end because the pizz. is gone!)

8. Hqubed

Hqubed Supporting Member

Might also want to check in with the local Youth Symphony organization if such exists in you area. The Columbus Youth Symphony here also has instruments "on loan" for certain situations.

Or perhaps: request audition tapes which you review (not professional, iphone fine) to include a written and/or verbal explanaition of the students goals for their music, what motivates them, and what they are doing to give back (my son for example is required to play at area assisted living centers 4x per year as payback for my support, many reasons I am doing this). Follow up your short list one on one via phone or in person with the student and parent(s). You may want to condider "loaning" the instrument based upon specific, realistic, attainable "stretch" goals to keep them motivated, keeping in touch with them in a "mentoring" sort of way.

I appluad your ideals and hope you will be able to pass them along with the instrument.

9. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Disclosures:
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    Find a college that is underfunded in the music program. They will be very grateful.

10. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Don't you mean "Playing It forward" ? :smug:

Cool mang! Seek and yee shall find. Since you've put it out to the universe, I'm sure some very deserving person, or multiple persons, will benefit from your magnanimity.

Sorry to hear about your RIS issues, but pleased to hear how you're dealing with it.

11. pnchad

pnchad

I will keep one DB for arco as I have three - not sure which though

One bass is obviously better suited for orchestral & the other 2 are better jazz basses

12. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain

13. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz-Benz Amplifiers, Fishman Transducers
    Contacting a local college or youth symphony is a great idea, you could also contact the ISB and ask if they have any suggestions.

14. pnchad

pnchad

well this is what gave me the inspiration, youngsters on TB dreaming about DB and having to either wait or settle for something inferior

if there were a fair way to 'audition' worthy TBers I'd be up for that

15. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Tread lightly when considering donating to school music programs. I hate to say it, because kids should have access to DECENT instruments whenever possible, but with the state of school budgets today the money to maintain the instruments isn't there.

This is a wonderful gesture you are making, and if you choose wisely will be a great legacy and a contribution to the arts. I'd just hate to see the thing fall into disrepair for political reasons.

16. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

That's a wonderful thing you're doing. Even though my bass is just a Cremona, I'm still staggered by how lucky I am to have access to one, and how amazing it feels to have the opportunity to play. It's a rewarding instrument to play, but unfortunately it's one of the hardest and most expensive to get into. Once again, what you're doing is amazing. Good karma your way.